Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Part Time
Location: Manchester, Missouri
The Medical Laboratory Technician performs laboratory analyses and tests. Prepares samples, sets up instruments, runs tests and reads, interprets and releases results. May perform variety of customer service activities for internal and external customers.
This is a part-time 2:00PM-6:00PM generalist position, so all benches will be worked.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Specializes in one or more of the following areas:
- Testing cell-related components of blood samples to enumerate and identify their cellular components, including the microscopic evaluation of blood smears and the use of automated and manual counting techniques.
- Processing blood and body fluids for microscopic examination by pathologists. Includes slide preparation and staining, utilizing manual and automated counting techniques.
- Analysis and evaluation of chemical and microscopic components of urine samples, using automated instrumentation and manual techniques.
- Testing blood and body fluids for various analytes, utilizing automated instrumentation.
- Examining samples to identify parasites, utilizing fecal flotation and various microscopic techniques.
- Testing blood and other samples for the presence of viral and bacterial disease by detecting antibodies (AB) or antigens (AG).
- Processing clinical samples for the identification of bacteria and fungi using automated and manual methods.
PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction)
- Examining samples for the presence of specific substances (often bacteria) using molecular diagnostic methods.
- Processing tissue samples for Pathologists using grossing, embedding, microtomy, staining and special staining techniques. Assures accurate and timely delivery of casework (and collateral materials) to on-site & off-site pathologists. May be responsible for maintaining and troubleshooting virtual microscopy (VM) systems which provide remote viewing & digital slide analysis capability to pathologists; organizes and archives pending and completed VM cases; creates and maintains VM system standard operating procedures; tracks VM system errors; troubleshoots VM system problems with pathologists, labs, vendors, IT and others; runs regular meetings and meets with vendors; sets up and trains users; and other related activities.
- Performing postmortem examinations, including sample collection and preparation for serology, microbiology, parasitology, histology, molecular biology (PCR) and other tests. Preparing samples for analysis and performs parasitological and other exams
- Performing variety of customer service activities for internal and external customers, providing information, resolving issues and ensuring customer satisfaction. Responding to customer phone and other communications, addresses questions/issues/problems/concerns, etc.
- Reliable and dependable attendance is an essential function of the position. Adherence to attendance-related policies and expectations is critical to this position.
- High School diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience required. Bachelors degree or equivalent preferred.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Laboratory skills, with experience setting up, running and reading lab tests and operating lab instruments.
- General science background, including hematology/chemistry helpful.
- Attention to detail.
- Organized with ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Positive, can-do attitude.
- Knowledge of Good Clinical Practice (GCP) as appropriate.
- Supervisory skills, if a lead position.
- Personal computer skills, including strong typing ability and proficient use of Microsoft Office.
- Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT), Certified Veterinary Technician (CVT), Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT), or equivalent preferred.
- Extensive sitting, phone and computer use.
- May be required to lift, move and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Hearing acuity sufficient to effectively communicate with customers and Employees via telephone and in person.
- Ability to communicate verbally on phone and in person.
- Fluency in the English language.
- Extended hours may be required.
- Some travel required.
- Laboratory environment with potential biohazards present.
- Potential for exposure to agents known to cause zoonotic disease in humans and use of potentially hazardous chemicals as defined by the National Hazard Communication Standards. A complete list of such chemicals is available from department supervision.
- Sets up and runs lab tests. Reads and releases test results. Tests performed typically up to moderate complexity, which may include differentials. Exercises judgment in evaluating and reporting results in consultation with veterinarians/pathologists and others, based on experience and accumulated knowledge in field. Performs equipment maintenance activities. Knowledge of lab equipment and procedures. Knowledge of quality control and calibration. Knowledge of multiple specialties. Works under general supervision with latitude for independent judgment. May assist and train less experienced peers. May consult with senior peers on certain projects. Normally receives no instruction on routine work, general instructions on new assignments. Meets productivity goals while also performing tasks with no errors. Applies job skills and lab policies and procedures to complete a wide range of difficult tasks. Works on lab technician assignments that are moderately complex in nature where judgment is required in resolving problems and making routine recommendations. May lead work of others, which may also include performing such support duties as ordering supplies and other activities. Certification as a Veterinary Technician (RVT, LVT, CVT Registered, Licensed or Certified through AVMA accredited program) or Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) (ASCP), Histotechnician for histology-specific (HT) (ASCP) or military equivalent preferred.
- For customer service-related responsibilities (only if these are assigned), experience with customer service, technically-related fields, veterinary practices or lab experience required; knowledge of Company products and services; troubleshooting knowledge; understanding of standard operating procedures, work instructions and policies.
- For virtual microscopy (VM)-related responsibilities (only if these are assigned), experience with VM equipment. Researches escalated issues. Understanding of standard operating procedures, work instructions and policies. Performs equipment repairs.
- Typically 2-3+ Years Exp.
We re proud of the work we do, because our work matters. Every role at IDEXX contributes to enhancing the health and wellbeing of pets, people, and livestock. With over 8,000 global team members, customers in over 175 countries, and a fast-growing industry - we re always looking for motivated and inspiring people to join us.
We offer competitive compensation, incentives, and benefits. You ll be part of a double-digit growth company in a quickly growing market and we are leading the way forward with innovative products, services, and a strong focus on our customers.