Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Part Time
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION: Here at BIDMC, the Psychiatry Department has a full range of clinical, educational, and research activities. It includes approximately 70 active faculty members, including eight full professors, six associate professors, twelve assistant professors, and 44 instructors. Additionally, more than one hundred faculty teach or supervise in various training programs affiliated with the Department. A multidisciplinary staff of nurses, psychologists, social workers, and mental health counselors work in a fully integrated manner with other members of the Department.
The department of Psychiatry, as an integral part of the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, complements and enhances the medical center's mission of providing excellent clinical care. Consistent with that mission, the Psychiatric Department offers comprehensive services to patients, ranging in ages of early adults to seniors, serviced by the medical center and surrounding communities.
JOB LOCATION: Boston, MA
REQ ID: 28031BR
JOB SUMMARY: The Mental Health Associate performs mental health patient care activities delegated by the clinical nurse. This person reports to the nurse manager for administrative and professional development purposes.
* Observes and reports patients' physical, emotional and social behaviors. Initiates necessary changes in staff response.
* Assists patients with personal care, monitoring vital signs and weights, preparing lab specimens, supervising meals, routine and special patient observations (checks), maintaining a clean environment, transporting patient to activities and appointments.
* Teaches nonviolent crisis intervention techniques as directed by the nurse manager.
* Functions as the Legal Liaison for the unit.
* High School diploma or GED required. Associate's degree preferred in Psychology, Counseling, or related field
* 1-3 years related work experience required.
* Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
* At least two years work experience in psychiatric setting.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
AGE BASED COMPETENCIES:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Very Heavy work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 50 pounds of force continually. Employee is physically active in all elements of the job.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth by the U.S. Department of Labor.