Schedule: 40 hours/week will be accomplished between the hours of 7:30am -6:30 pm. Additional hours as required.
Rotations: Saturday coverage rotation: 8:30 am - 12:30 pm.
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics-recognized as one of the best hospitals in the United States-is Iowa's only comprehensive academic medical center and a regional referral center. Each day more than 12,000 employees, students, and volunteers work together to provide safe, quality health care and excellent service for our patients. Simply stated, our mission is: Changing Medicine. Changing Lives. ®
Position Summary: The University of Iowa Health Care- Iowa River Landing clinic is seeking a full-time Pharmacy Technician to join our team located in Coralville, Iowa.
Under general supervision performs activities associated with drug distribution and control for inpatient/outpatient and clinic patient dispensing. Provides functional supervision as required.
1. Performs activities associated with unit inventory maintenance in dispensing areas and utilizes computer software and equipment to obtain drugs.
2. Performs activities associated with institutional-wide inventory maintenance and complete order forms which are used for obtaining drugs from vendors. Receives and verifies shipments of schedule II, III, IV, V controlled substances.
3. Processes drug orders written by physicians for inpatients, outpatients, and clinic patients by: interpreting the order, calculating the dosage, packaging the order, and labeling the product. Assesses the need to affix patient-specific instructions for self-administration to the drug container.
4. Processes inpatient medication orders by translating the written physician order into the appropriate computerized order entry system.
5. Delivers medications including patient-specific and floorstock supplies of schedule II, III, IV, V controlled substances to patient care areas. Maintains records of floorstock including inventory and discrepancy reports on schedule II, III, IV, V controlled substances. Maintains keys to safes containing schedule II, III, IV V controlled substances.
6. Generates and/or maintain appropriate records related to medication distribution and dispensing.
7. Utilizes various equipment including automated compounding equipment, tablet counters, label printers, laser report printers, computer keyboards/terminals, pharmaceutical packaging equipment , and pneumatic tube station.
8. Utilizes aseptic technique in horizontal and vertical flow hoods to prepare sterile products, including cytotoxic drugs, in single doses.
9. Packages nonsterile products in bulk supplies and single doses.
10. Calculates doses and compounds parenteral nutrition solutions. Using a physician-specified concentration of amino acids, calculates total volume needed as well as the volume of each component to achieve the specified concentration.
11. Maintains correct stock of prescription labels and orders new stock. Establishes and maintains the appropriate label format on the computer, and resolves software and hardware problems when they arise.
12. Compounds drugs and chemicals for patient care, laboratory and research areas by mixing, weighing, measuring drugs and chemicals to create products and drug dosage forms not otherwise available in final form from a manufacturer.
13. Assists the pharmacists in conducting monthly inspections of all medications stored on patient care areas.
14. Provides functional supervision to student technicians and clerical staff as required.
15. Participates in orientation of pharmacy technicians, pharmacists, pharmacy residents, and senior pharmacy students on rotation in the department.
16. Communicates with public, patients and health care personnel.
17. Maintains area orderliness and cleanliness.
Please attach a resume as part of the application process. Job openings are posted for a minimum of 10 calendar days. This job may be removed from posting and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended. For questions or additional information, please contact Kayla Fjelstul at email@example.com .
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.
MINIMUM ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS :
High school graduation including a general mathematics course, or the equivalent.
Effective July 1, 2009, a Pharmacy Technician (Trainee) must be registered with the Pharmacy Board. All pharmacy technicians must be certified within one year of employment. If certification is not achieved by the end of one year of employment, individuals will be terminated. ( Per Board of Pharmacy Administrative Rules (Iowa Administrative Code 657, Chapter 3, Pharmacy Technicians)
Two years experience in a position directly related to the natural sciences, or
Two years post high school education in the natural sciences or related area, or
A combination of related experience and related post high school education to equal two years.
Ability to perform ratio/proportion equations
Experience in a retail pharmacy setting
Previous healthcare experience preferred
Experience with inventory maintenance activities
Experience working in a team environment
Experience working in healthcare with one-on-one patient interaction
Prefer National Career Readiness Certificate at Silver Level