Claims Consultant - Lawyers Professional Liability at CNA
Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Tarrytown, New York
CNA is a market leader in providing Lawyers professional liability coverage and provides best-in-class claim service. We are seeking a dynamic self-starter to join our team as a Claim Consultant. At CNA, Claim Professionals use their specialized expertise to handle claims efficiently and seamlessly in a collaborative environment focused on continuous improvement. The Claim Consultant plays a critical role in managing and resolving lawyers malpractice claims by evaluating coverage, assessing liability and damages, setting timely reserves, negotiating and settling claims, and directing litigation. The Claim Consultant will collaborate in a rich team environment including claim leadership and business partners to ensure the best possible outcome on every claim.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
1. Interprets more complex or unusual policy coverages and determines if coverages apply to claims submitted, escalating issues as needed.
2. Sets activities, reserves and authorizes payments within scope of authority. Ensures issuance of disbursements while managing loss costs and expenses.
3. Coordinates and performs investigations and evaluates claims and suits through contact with insureds, claimants, business partners, witnesses and experts. Seeks early resolution opportunities. Identifies files that have potential fraud and refers to SIU.
4. Utilizes negotiation skills to develop complex settlement packages.
5. Identifies claims with third party recovery potential and coordinates with subrogation/salvage unit.
6. Partners with attorneys, account representatives, agents, underwriters, doctors, nurse case managers and insureds to develop a focused strategy for timely and cost effective resolution of more complex claims.
7. Analyzes claims activities. Prepares and presents reports for management. May be responsible for special projects and presentations.
8. Responsible for input of data that accurately reflects claim circumstances and other information important to our business outcomes.
9. May provide guidance and assistance to other claims staff and functional areas.
10. Keeps current on state/territory regulations and issues as well as industry activity and trends.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Manager or Director
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Solid knowledge of claims and insurance industry theory and practices.
2. Demonstrated technical expertise and product specific knowledge.
3. Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills. Ability to effectively interact with all levels of CNA's internal and external business partners.
4. Ability to work independently, managing time and resources to accomplish multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
5. Strong analytical and problem solving skills enabling viable alternative solutions.
6. Ability to exercise independent judgement and make critical business decisions effectively assessing the merits of claims as well as evaluating claims based on a cost benefit analysis.
7. Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite as well as other business-related software.
8. Ability to adapt to change and value diverse opinions and ideas.
9. Ability to fully comprehend claim information, and to further articulate analyses of claims in internal reports.
10. Ability to handle claims with a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Professional designations preferred.
2. Typically a minimum three to five years claims experience.
Primary Location: United States-New York-New York
Other Locations: United States-New York-New York
Organization: CLAIM USSPL-PSvcs
Job Posting: Jun 8, 2018
Unposting Date: Ongoing.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.