Technical Writing Coordinator (Red Wing, MN) at 3M
Posted in Writing/Editing 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Red Wing, Minnesota
3M is seeking a Technical Writing Coordinator for the Personal Safety Division (PSD)/3M Fall Protection Business group located in Red Wing, MN. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
The person hired for this position will be responsible for coordinating and leading activities for creation and design of technical documentation for products such as user manuals, repair manuals, parts lists, exploded assemblies of product, technical reference materials, technical translations, release notices and update instructions, technical publications, etc. Clearly and accurately addresses the information needs of the applicable audience.
This position will also have responsibility for ensuring all technical documentation conforms to department standards of formatting, information design, and usability. Providing the team with appropriate tools and software programs for writing and publishing documents based on the project and industry standards, while serving on cross-functional teams responsible for product development, attends team meetings, and maintains open communication between the team and other departments.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Overseeing daily technical writing activities for user instructions and other technical documentation to meet agreed upon release dates for documentation requests.
- Processing new requests for technical documents by adding to project log and assigning to writer with clear expectations of first drat and release dates.
- Leading weekly Technical Writing meetings to review progress on active projects. Assist with prioritizing individual writer projects, and identifying concerns of issues raised by team. Interact with Engineering Manager to provide information and updates on NPI project timelines.
- Communicating any tech writing project concerns or timeline issues identified during meeting with Engineering Manager.
- Supporting technical writing administrative activities as needed to generate and submit purchase orders, review quotes, invoice approvals and act as liaison with translation and other suppliers.
- Designing and writing technical documentation for product user instructions, installation instructions, services manuals and other technical documentation.
- Using relevant theories and practices to provide guidance and/or training to support level co-workers within the same or job-related work group.
- Handling inquiries of moderate scope and complexity. Uses basic analytical skills to interpret information, examine variables, draw conclusions, and assess alternative methods. Most complex problem solving may require the use of increased judgment to handle some variations in conditions or operations, making decisions based on selecting from alternative courses of action using greater adaptation to circumstances when necessary.
- Making decisions or actions that may impact the operational effectiveness of work operations, schedules, or performance goals.
- Primary contacts are typically internal and on a professional, supervisory, or co-worker level.
- Interaction is focused on answering routine questions directly related to the professional discipline, as well as exchanging factual information with an audience knowledgeable in the subject area.
- Actively participating in relevant corporate programs/initiatives, complies with professional and quality standards, complies with corporate policies and procedures, and acts in a manner consistent with 3M’s values and ethical standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Minimum of two (2) years (academic and/or industry) technical writing experience
- Minimum two (2) years of combined experience working, deploying, or leading projects or activities
- Bachelor degree or higher in technical writing & communications, or a science related field from an accredited institution
- Project management/planning skills
- Strong leadership skills with experience guiding and leading functional teams
- Minimum of two (2) years relevant technical writing experience in an academic and/or industry setting
- Highly developed writing skills for factual technical documents
- Experience using computer software tools: Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel, and Adobe Suites InDesign.
- Ability to use document and data management systems: PDM/PLM (Windchill, ENOVIA, eMatrix),
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to handle confidential technical information
- Excellent organization skills with flexibility for frequent changes in priorities
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact professionally with many individuals
Location: Red Wing, MN
Travel: May include up to 10%, domestic and international
Relocation: Is not authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without a sponsorship for employment visa status (e.e. H1B status).
See job description.