Technical Writer (Red Wing, MN) at 3M
Posted in Writing/Editing 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Red Wing, Minnesota
3M is seeking a Technical Writer for the Personal Safety Division (PSD)/3M Fall Protection Business group located in Red Wing, MN. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
The person hired for this position will be responsible for designing and writing technical documentation for products such as user manuals, repair manuals, parts lists, exploded assemblies of product, technical reference materials, technical translations, release notices and update instructions, technical publications, etc. Clearly and accurately addresses the information needs of the applicable audience, while also editing work for other writers.
This position will also have responsibility for conforming to department standards of formatting, information design, and usability, while using appropriate tools and software programs for writing and publishing documents based on the project and industry standards. Serving on cross-functional teams responsible for product development, attending team meetings, and maintaining open communication between the team and other departments is required.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Follows a variety of clearly defined procedures under general guidance. Works independently, although the scope for discretion is limited and the output is reviewed periodically while in progress. The work priorities are defined with the manager/supervisor.
- Uses relevant theories and practices to provide guidance and/or training to support level co-workers within the same or job-related work group.
- Handles inquiries of moderate scope and complexity. Uses basic analytical skills to interpret information, examine variables, draw conclusions, and assess alternative methods. Most complex problem solving may require the use of increased judgment to handle some variations in conditions or operations, making decisions based on selecting from alternative courses of action using greater adaptation to circumstances when necessary.
- Decisions or actions may impact the operational effectiveness of work operations, schedules, or performance goals.
- Work tasks typically encompass concepts within one discipline/practice within one department. Working tasks might include:
- Designs and writes clear, concise, accurate documents addressing the instructional and reference needs of specific customer audiences. Understands the audiences, tasks, and products assigned in order to deliver information in the format, structure, and delivery method most usable and useful for the identified audience. Incorporates sound principles of information design, instructional design, strong writing, and grammar into all documents.
- Demonstrates application of product knowledge by writing on more than one product and expanding knowledge of tools used within the department to produce documentation. Participates on projects that help facilitate department deliverables, such as input to creation of templates. Develops improvements for assigned documentation.
- Learns and continues to expand knowledge of the audience and product as the assigned product is updated and expanded. Maintains effective and continuous communication with marketing, product development, implementation, and support staffs. Investigates all questions and issues thoroughly to ensure document accuracy and completeness.
- Exchanges product information with the rest of the writing team to facilitate cross-product efficiencies and improvements. Uses product knowledge to provide input to other writers, as needed, when deadlines are at risk or priorities change.
- Develops productivity and document quality through use of department processes. Works with the supervisor to develop document plans. Completes appropriate review cycles. Participates in review and training across product lines.
- Learns and maintains department standards in all documents, including use of standard templates.
- Learns and effectively uses all tools necessary for delivering usable information, including desktop publishing tools, online help tools, software capture tools, presentation software, spreadsheets, word processing, knowledge center software and file conversion software. Learns and effectively uses applicable business software to facilitate communications and information gathering.
- Primary contacts are typically internal and on a professional, supervisory, or co-worker level.
- Interaction is focused on answering routine questions directly related to the professional discipline, as well as exchanging factual information with an audience knowledgeable in the subject area.
- Actively participates in relevant corporate programs/initiatives, complies with professional and quality standards, complies with corporate policies and procedures, and acts in a manner consistent with 3M’s values and ethical standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Minimum of one (1) year (academic and/or industry) technical writing experience
- Bachelor degree or higher in technical writing & communications, or a science related field from an accredited institution
- Minimum of two (2) years relevant technical writing experience in an academic and/or industry setting
- Experience using computer software tools: Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel, and Adobe Suites InDesign.
- Ability to use document and data management systems: PDM/PLM (Windchill, ENOVIA, eMatrix),
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to handle confidential technical information
- Excellent organization skills with flexibility for frequent changes in priorities
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact professionally with many individuals
Location: Red Wing, MN
Travel: May include up to 10%, domestic and international
Relocation: Is not authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without a sponsorship for employment visa status (e.e. H1B status).
See job description.