Assistant Editor, Biomedicine (scholarly publishing) at Springer Nature
Posted in Writing/Editing 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: New York, New York
Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
The Assistant Editor works with autonomy in providing valuable support to the Biomedicine Editorial team by building good working relationships with (Series) authors/Editors in Chief/Editorial Boards/partners/societies and managing day-to-day administration while leading projects as required.
- Manage editorial processes (and the peer review process) for new book proposals
- Manage and co-ordinate book and/or journals projects – monitor progress and chase authors to ensure timely submission of manuscripts / special issues
- Take a lead on assigned projects liaising with relevant stakeholders
- Prepare final manuscripts for handover to production
- As necessary, check any required rights, forms and permissions for third party content
- Write and edit cover copy and blurbs
- Liaise with authors and colleagues in marketing, production and editorial departments
- Contribute towards team/departmental projects
- Review and make suggestions to improve and streamline processes for the team
- Mentor Editorial Assistants and provide training for new starters
- Input of relevant data to systems, such as BFlux, JFlow, CMS etc.
- Independently manage book series/journals. Initiate activities to develop and expand the book portfolio with guidance of (publishing) editor.
- Occasionally support his/her manager during editorial trips and exhibits
- Show ability to acquire publications through smart email/phone communications (e.g. mentions publishing options while providing service)
- Other duties as required by manager
- Educated to degree level or equivalent (preferably in a relevant field of study)
- Highly developed awareness of publishing processes, particularly as appropriate to our disciplines
- Previous experience in an editorial administration role (0-2 years preferred)
- Excellent English language skills
- Have excellent communication and team-working skills to deal with people at all levels both in the company and externally
- Be able to organise and prioritise numerous tasks
- Be resourceful and proactive in dealing with problems and queries
- Be able to demonstrate good publishing business awareness and the ability to learn quickly
- Be numerate and computer-literate, with a sharp eye for detail
- Be proficient in office software
- Customer Focus (internal and external customers)
Nurtures relationships by recognising and delivering on internal and external customer’s needs and opinions. Helps others to understand the implications of their decisions. Develops and sustains productive internal and external customer relationships.
- Relationship Building/Teamwork (incorporating Communication, Influencing and Trust)
Builds effective relationships through positive communication that motivates and influences others. Honest and trustworthy; a valued team member, actively involved in achieving team objectives. Works cooperatively and flexibly with other members of the team.
- Problem Solving
Takes initiative to identify current and potential problems and determines the best solution. Identifies the cause of problems and key issues through investigation; identifies effective, logical and practical solutions.
- Personal Effectiveness (incorporating results focused, productivity, ownership, delegation)
Produces outstanding results both professionally and personally by being proactive and committed. Continually focuses on achieving positive results contributing to the overall success of the business. Eye for detail, and deliver accurate work
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours.
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is
The Law Poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.