Editor, Newsroom at THE HEARST CORPORATION
Posted in Writing/Editing 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: New York, New York
Hearst Digital Media is seeking an editor to join its internal newsroom, a fast-moving department that creates engaging stories for more than a dozen top digital brands, including Cosmopolitan.com, Esquire.com, and GoodHousekeeping.com. Reporting to the News Director, this editor will write, report and edit news stories and features.
An ideal candidate is a nimble generalist who can balance writing multiple stories along with editing staffers and freelancers on tight deadlines. A typical day could entail editing a true-crime feature for one site and then blogging about a breaking news event for another site.
The candidate should have sharp news judgment, a strong editing background and a keen eye for stories that will resonate with an internet audience.
- Pitch and write news stories daily in a range of topics, including politics, human interest subjects, and entertainment
- Edit staff writers and freelancers with an eye towards clean, tight copy
- Generate a continuous stream of features ideas, including profiles, explainers, trend pieces and as-told-tos, with timely news pegs
- Work with photo and video teams to effectively package stories with strong visuals
- Contribute to coverage for live events like elections and award shows
- Work with the News Director to determine the week’s top stories and subjects worthy of deep dives and analyze trends in news consumption
- At least 5 years experience writing and editing at a top-level media brand
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in journalism or a related field
- Experience writing and editing stories about many topics, from politics to celebrity to lifestyle
- Experience working with freelance writers as well as a network of seasoned freelancers
- Keen ability to multi-task, working under deadlines and an ability to learn quickly
- Experience with HTML, Photoshop, and content management systems
- Familiarity with traffic monitoring software like Google Analytics