Lab Technical Supervisor EGH at BEACON HEALTH SYSTEM
Posted in Health Care 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Reports to Laboratory Manager. Supervises the laboratory staff and routine operations for assigned section/shift, including the bench work and information systems processes. Ensures that all laboratory activities are performed according to established policies and procedures.
MISSION & VISION
Mission: To enhance the physical, mental and emotional well-being of the communities we serve as the community’s provider of outstanding quality, superior value and comprehensive health care services.
Vision: Our vision is to achieve:
· Innovative health care and well-being services of the highest quality at the greatest value
· Easy access and convenience
· Outstanding patient experiences
· Ongoing education involving physicians, patients and the community
Education and Experience
The knowledge, skills and abilities as indicated below are normally acquired through the successful completion of a Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology or in a chemical, physical or biological science and completion of a CAHEA-accredited Medical Technology program. Certification as a technologist by an appropriate accrediting agency i.e., ASCP, HEW/HHS or equivalent is preferred. A minimum of four years of related clinical laboratory experience required. Prior supervisory experience preferred. For the Blood Bank Supervisor position, the Specialist in Blood Banking, SBB (ASCP) certification is preferred. Qualifies as a General Supervisor as defined in CFR.493.1461 (high complexity testing) and as a Technical Consultant as defined in CFR.493.1411 (moderate complexity testing).
Knowledge & Skills
1. Demonstrates solid knowledge of Medical Laboratory procedures and testing systems.
2. Requires working knowledge of applicable state and federal regulations and applicable accrediting agencies.
3. Requires technical knowledge of laboratory information systems and applications.
4. Demonstrates leadership, interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written) necessary to supervise staff in daily operations and to interact effectively with staff, physicians, patients, visitors and other contacts.
1. Possible exposure to communicable diseases, hazardous substances, chemicals and other conditions common to a hospital laboratory.
2. Works on-call to answer questions whenever the need arises, hours may vary.
Requires the physical ability and stamina to perform the essential functions of the position.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
The below statements are intended to describe the essential job functions and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel occupying this position.
1. Supervises daily operations of the assigned laboratory section(s) to ensure work is performed according to established policies and procedures, and as approved and/or directed by the Manager and/or Medical Director as appropriate by:
- Assigning work and managing the schedules, operations, and work activities of designated staff within the department.
- Assisting with interviewing, orienting and evaluating performance of staff, communicating expectations and recommending corrective action when necessary.
- Identifying ongoing training needs of staff and ensuring that each individual receives regular in-service training and education appropriate for the duties performed.
- Developing and implementing a competency program in conjunction with the Manager and Medical Director, and reporting any failures to them.
- Evaluating the competency of the testing personnel and ensuring that the staff maintains their competency to perform test procedures and report test results promptly, accurately and proficiently.
- Monitoring, evaluating and documenting the performance of individuals responsible for laboratory testing procedures in accordance with the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act (CLIA) recommendations.
- Ensuring the integrity of the patient’s paper and electronic medical record. Educating staff and holding them accountable for results management from lab order to completion including mail out or faxed reports and patient charges.
- Reviewing all abnormal results which are referred by designated technical staff.
- Ensuring that patient test results are not reported until all necessary corrective actions have been taken and the test system is functioning properly.
- Planning, organizing and implementing programs for preventive maintenance of equipment and instrumentation.
- Establishing a quality control program appropriate for the testing performed and establishing the parameters for acceptable levels of analytic performance and ensuring that these levels are maintained throughout the entire testing process (from the initial receipt of the specimen through sample analysis and reporting of test results).
- Monitoring the quality control program, resolving technical problems and ensuring that all necessary remedial actions are taken and documented whenever test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications. Reporting findings to Manager and Medical Director.
- Researching and recommending test methodologies appropriate for the clinical use of the test results, and ensuring that a procedure manual is available for all testing.
- Selecting test methodologies with the approval of the Manager and Medical Director.
- Assisting with cost analysis of equipment, leases and rental agreements.
- Discussing, researching and recommending new procedures as technology advances and methods change. Implementing new procedures with the approval of the Manager and Medical Director.
- Analyzing and interpreting statistical methods and their application to testing and data mining.
- Ensuring assigned area(s) meet state, federal, and other regulatory requirements.
- Ensuring employees perform duties using safe work techniques and procedures in accordance with OSHA, State and Federal regulations and Hospital policies and procedures.
- Assisting with maintenance and ongoing development of the laboratory information system.
- Investigating and reporting to Director incidents involving patients, employees, visitors, clients and the laboratory.
- Interpreting, enforcing and supporting Hospital policies, procedures, protocols and the terms and conditions of the Union bargaining agreement as applicable.
- Maintaining good rapport and cooperative relationships, approaching conflict in a constructive manner, and helping to identify problems, offering solutions, and participating in their resolution.
- Taking into account the needs of the laboratory as a whole and using creativity when directing staff assignments based upon workload, call ins and overall department needs.
- Performing bench level testing and reporting as needed.
- Fulfilling all duties and responsibilities as applicable for a general supervisor (high complexity testing) as defined in CFR.493.1463 and a technical consultant (moderately complex testing) as defined in CFR.493.1413.
2. Performs other functions to maintain personal competence and contribute to the overall effectiveness of the department by:
a. Completing other job-related assignments and special projects as directed.
STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOR
· Anticipates and takes proactive steps to ensure customer’s needs are met
· Places courtesy and service above routine and goes beyond customer expectations
· Keeps patient/work environment neat and clean
· Understands and applies job-related aspects of patient safety and identifies, reports and corrects safety concerns as quickly as possible
· Keeps others well informed
· Practices active listening
· Develops and maintains positive working relationships
· Uses problem solving techniques to resolve issues and makes decisions within personal sphere of influence
· Seeks to understand patient's experience
· Demonstrates integrity and strong business ethics
· Utilizes time and resources in a prudent manner
· Strives to continually improve department processes and services
· Projects professional image through enthusiasm towards work, behavior and appearance
· Demonstrates Beacon values verbally and through actions
· Displays and exhibits caring behaviors with each interaction
· Demonstrates self-awareness and sensitivity to the perceptions of others
· Listens carefully to input and concerns and takes appropriate action
· Interacts with dissatisfied customers in a calm, respectful manner and seeks resolutions
· Maintains confidentiality at all times
· Fosters a sense of trust and collaboration among associates
· Verbal and written communications are clear and effective
· Responds to change in a positive manner
Associate complies with the following organizational requirements:
· Attends and participates in department meetings and is accountable for all information shared.
· Completes mandatory education, annual competencies and department specific education within established timeframes.
· Completes annual employee health requirements within established timeframes.
· Maintains license/certification, registration in good standing throughout fiscal year.
· Direct patient care providers are required to maintain current BC LS (CPR) and other certifications as required by position/department.
· Consistently utilizes appropriate universal precautions, protective equipment, and ergonomic techniques to protect patient and self.
· Adheres to regulatory agency requirements, survey process and compliance.
· Complies with established organization and department policies.
· Available to work overtime in addition to working additional or other shifts and schedules when required.
Commitment to Beacon's six-point Operating System, referred to as The Beacon Way:
· Leverage innovation everywhere.
· Cultivate human talent.
· Embrace performance improvement.
· Build greatness through accountability.
· Use information to improve and advance.
· Communicate clearly and continuously.
MT or MLS generalist certification with a concentration toward chemistry. Candidate will provide leadership of the chemistry department while maintaining competencies in all areas of the lab.