Assistant Medical Librarian at The Nemours Foundation
Posted in General Business 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
As one of the nation’s leading pediatric health care systems, Nemours is committed to providing all children with their best chance to grow up healthy. We offer integrated, family-centered care to more than 300,000 children each year in our pediatric hospitals, specialty clinics and primary care practices in Delaware, Florida, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Nemours strives to ensure a healthier tomorrow for all children – even those who may never enter our doors – through our world-changing research, education and advocacy efforts. At Nemours, our Associates help us deliver on the promise we make to every family we have the privilege of serving: to treat their child as if they were our own.
The Assistant Medical Librarian will assist the Delaware Medical Librarian in the organization and direction of the Alfred I duPont Hospital for Children Medical Library. Utilizing knowledge of library science principles and practices this role works as part of a team to integrate library services with education initiatives including, but not limited too: evidence-based medicine tools, patient care, continuing medical education, nursing, research, resident and fellow education and clinical rounds. Integration of these tools, especially across multiple technology platforms, is an ongoing clinical necessity and the library is regularly called upon to enhance patron’s skills therefore the Assistant Medical Librarian must also be forward-thinking and embrace technology as well as possess excellent presentation, communication and interpersonal skills.
The Assistant Medical Librarian will also provide reference, instructional and interlibrary loan assistance to Nemours Associates and affiliated users. Along with customer service and patron education, this role provides planning and administrative support for the department needs.
Provides Instructional and Customer Service Support
- Provides instruction and training in the use of information resources and library services.
- Teaches courses on effective use of Internet and database resources
- Works with Medical Library patrons to train and assist them with EMR integrated evidence-based medicine tool
- Assists users with adaptation of a spectrum of technological tools used to assist in clinical decision making.
Manages Library Resources and Access
- Provides timely interlibrary loan (ILL) service by routinely checking Docline (the National Library of Medicine’s (NLM) automated request routing and referral system), as well as the internal requesting system throughout the day; including an awareness of copyright compliance and ILL practices in both lending and borrowing materials.
- Assists users in creating and utilizing LoanSome Doc accounts to increase usability of PubMed and efficiency of loaning process.
- Maintains the library’s Electronic Fund Transfer System (EFTS) ILL billing account and reimburses other libraries for ILL services in a timely manner.
Provides Medical Library Information Services
- Knowledge of the medical literature and its organization.
- Ability to perform reference interviews and computerized literature searching, utilizing complex database systems
- Attends patient centered clinical teaching rounds on a regular basis.
- Must have the ability to work well with others.
- Regular attendance is required.
- Good communications skills are required.
- Master’s Degree in Library/ Library Information Sciences (MLS or MLIS)
- Research library experience preferred. Teaching experience preferred.
- New MLS graduates welcome if they have science background and/ or library experience.
Our dedication to professionals who are dedicated to children frequently earns Nemours a spot on the list of top workplaces in the communities we serve. Our Associates enjoy comprehensive benefits, including our unique “Bridge to a Healthy Future” pediatric health plan, an integrated wellness program, opportunities for professional growth, and much more. As an equal opportunity employer, Nemours focuses on the best-qualified applicants for our openings.