SAFETY COORDINATOR III - FEDERAL DIVISION at Granite Construction Incorporated
Posted in Construction 10 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Hagatna, Guam
Building a career at Granite may be the most valuable thing you could do...
Are you interested in the opportunity to work for an industry-leading company that will give you the experience and exposure you need to build your career and personal brand? If so, then you’ve come to the right place!
Since 1922, Granite Construction has continued its long standing commitment to building some of America’s largest infrastructure projects including highways, bridges, dams, rail, and power. Recognized as one of the top 25 largest construction companies in the U.S., Granite specializes in complex infrastructure projects and provides award-winning construction services in mining, earthwork, water/sewer, power, tunneling, rail, highway and bridge construction. Granite also produces construction materials-sand, gravel, ready-mix, recycled asphalt product and asphalt concrete, and is a proven leader in alternative procurement project delivery.
At Granite, our employees are our most valued asset and we are passionate about retaining, developing, and recruiting the best talent available. Our employees reflect our core values: Honesty, Integrity, Fairness, Accountability, Consideration of Others, Pursuit of Excellence, Reliability Safety and Citizenship and we are continuously looking for individuals who possess a winning attitude and share our Core Values. In exchange, we help you build a career that no other company can duplicate. You will be part of a learning culture, where teamwork and collaboration are encouraged, excellence is rewarded, and diversity is respected and valued. Add our award winning safety program, ethics, reputation, and a commitment to continuous improvement and you’ll see that we are building more than infrastructure—together, we are building your future.
The position, in concurrence with the Safety Manager, is responsible for developing and managing the accident prevention program, and the corresponding laws that relate to the safety of our work, for an assigned location in a manner consistent with company policies and procedures.
Essential Job Accountabilities
1. Administer, direct and manage compliance with the company safety program and local accident prevention efforts to ensure company safety goals are met. Change and/or adjust work procedures as needed to ensure the safety of affected employees and the general public.
2. Develop, organize and implement safety related programs that meet or exceed company safety standards.
3. Initiate, perform and document jobsite inspections and audits with special emphasis on hazard recognition, unsafe behaviors and correction of potential third party, asset loss and workers compensation losses.
4. Initiate, coordinate and conduct safety meetings and training programs to ensure the effective communication of company policy and safety standards.
5. Coordinate and participate in regulatory agency inspections and investigations to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations.
6. Coordinate and control the development and review of job hazard analysis for each major phase of our work to ensure its safe completion. This includes assessing the need for and facilitating the training for each JHA as may be required.
7. Investigate, prepare and maintain a record of all third party, asset loss and workers compensation claims to make certain that the interests of the company are preserved.
8. Follow up with the corporate insurance department to ensure insurance claims documentary information has been collected, secured, and preserved so that claims will be resolved in a timely manner. As required by business unit, represent and/or negotiate the settlement of certain loss related claims.
Education & Work Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Safety, Occupational Health or related field
• 5+ years of experience in construction and/or related safety environment, required.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
• Excellent knowledge of Fall Protection standards, DOT regulations, Construction Safety Orders and MUTCD standards.
• Ability to instruct front line supervisors in the safety related details of the work they perform (by enforcement) to improve safety performance
• Extensive knowledge of OSHA, MSHA and other state and federal agency guidelines.
• Ability to teach, mentor, lead and maintain confidentiality.
• Strong MS Office products (Word, Excel, etc.) skills
• Ability to work in high production environment and respond quickly/effectively under pressure and deadlines.
• Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to make independent judgments concerning;
the general safety of our work
the facilitation/implementation of safety related corrections
the management/facilitation of company programs/policies
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit and use hands to operate a computer keyboard. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and must have the ability to climb stairs and ladders in a construction/ plant environment. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds from floor to waist. Specific vision abilities required by this job include at least 20/30 Snellen in one eye and 20/50 in the other, with or without corrective lenses. Adequate hearing, with or without a hearing aid. Ability to distinguish colors. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Subject to outside working conditions.
• Comply, understand, and support corporate safety initiatives to ensure a safe work environment
• Ability and willingness to abide by Granite’s Code of Conduct on a daily basis
• Valid driver’s license and ability to drive for extended periods of time
• Ability to work evenings and weekends as required
• Occasional travel may be required
• Bi-lingual preferred
About Granite Construction Incorporated
Granite Construction Incorporated is a member of the S&P 400 Index and is the parent company of Granite Construction Company, one of the nation's largest heavy civil contractors and construction materials producers. Granite Construction is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, Individuals with Disabilities and a Drug-Free Workplace. For additional information on applicant/employee rights please click here.
Notice to Staffing Agencies
Granite Construction, Inc. and its subsidiaries ("Granite") will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Granite, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Granite mailing address, fax machine or email address, directly to Granite employees, or to Granite's resume database will be considered Granite property. Granite will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Granite will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees. Agencies must obtain advance written approval from Granite's recruiting function to submit resumes, and then only in conjunction with a valid fully-executed contract for service and in response to a specific job opening. Granite will not pay a fee to any Agency that does not have such agreement in place. Agency agreements will only be valid if in writing and signed by Granite's Human Resources Representative or his/ her designee. No other Granite employee is authorized to bind Granite to any agreement regarding the placement of candidates by Agencies.