Quality Inspector - Incoming at DRS Technologies
Posted in Manufacturing 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Fitchburg, Massachusetts
Leonardo DRS Overview
Leonardo DRS Technologies provides leading edge products and services to government and commercial customers worldwide. Focused on defense electronics, we develop and manufacture a broad range of mission critical systems and components in the areas of communications, combat systems, battlefield digitization, electro-optics, power systems, data storage, digital imaging, flight safety and space. For additional information on Leonardo DRS, please visit our website at www.drs.com
Leonardo DRS Naval Power Systems (DRS NPS) provides engineering and manufacturing services for Naval and commercial machinery systems. This includes the design and fabrication of advanced electric machinery including high performance torque/power dense permanent magnet motors, generators and associated power electronics, large rotating machinery, industrial turbine technology, packaged power and propulsion systems, mechanical equipment modeling and naval machinery inspection.
Job Location – Fitchburg, MA
Fitchburg Massachusetts is a community of ~41,000 people is located 10 miles from New Hampshire and 50 miles from Boston. Despite being one of the largest cities in the county, Fitchburg retains its small town flavor. Fitchburg boasts excellent access via highway or MBTA commuter train to all points. One can choose to live in any type of area; be it urban, suburban, or rural; all within a short commute to Fitchburg.
At DRS NPS, we design and manufacture military and commercial rotating equipment, such as steam turbines, gas turbine generator sets, and permanent magnet motors for power generation, ship propulsion and other commercial applications. This type of large rotating equipment can require thousands of hours to design and millions of dollars to build. With this kind of money on the line, we need to be certain that all of our products work every time and do everything we say they will. The key to this is you.
We have an immediate need for a Quality Inspector - Incoming. This individual will support supplier quality efforts for large rotating power equipment such as steam turbines, gas turbine generator sets, permanent magnet motors for industrial and ship propulsion applications and other large power equipment at our Fitchburg, MA location.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities for this position will involve working with supplier quality engineers on both military and industrial equipment to ensure parts, fabrications and assemblies meet specifications for dimensions and tolerances, materials, specifications, and other quality requirements.
- Inspects incoming material for conformance to drawing and contractual specifications
- Performs complex inspection activities, to assess conformance of products to the design as defined by the engineering drawings and/or models
- Inspects products, components, subassemblies, and fabrications to ensure conformance to requirements
- Interprets drawings to determine component and assembly requirements, including standard tolerances, G D & T, and engineering notations
- Uses standard inspection equipment to measure received parts
- Identifies and documents nonconforming conditions
- Executes inspection plans and checklists for inspections
- Performs data collection
- Generates discrepancy notices
- Performs material movement transactions after completing inspection process
- Audits vendor First Article Inspection reports for completeness and accuracy
- Maintains records in accordance with company policies and procedures
- Verifies receipt and reviews required inspection data for accuracy and compliance to requirements
- Metrology, control, maintain and coordinate calibrations with outside services
- High School Diploma or GED with at least 5 years of related experience
- In-depth understanding of relevant manufacturing standards (such as J-Std-001/IPC-A-610) or common mechanical techniques (such as geometric dimensioning and tolerance practices)
- Ability to use various measurement devices (calipers, pin gauges, go/no-go gauges, etc) to verify mechanical part compliance
- Experience reading mechanical drawings and able to verify parts dimensions against drawing requirements
- Experience with precision machining and fabrication for large complex assemblies and rotating machinery strongly desired
- Experience using a Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM), Optical comparator or other complex inspection systems. Experience with precision inspection equipment such as a ROMER Arm and/or a Fero Laser Tracker system is desired. In addition, experience with PC-dmis and/or SA-SpatialAnalyzer software would be a plus
- US citizenship required
- Ability to obtain a security clearance required
Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Disabled/Vet #NPS