Director of Engineering at XL Hybrids
Posted in Architecture 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
XL Hybrids seeks an experienced Director of Engineering to supervise product development for our hybrid and plug-in electric vehicle product lines.
- XL Hybrids is a dynamic, growing business, so joining our team means that you will have a wide scope of work and responsibilities that may shift to rapidly growing areas of the business.
- Support sales and business development activities
About XL Hybrids:
CO2 emissions from transportation recently surpassed the power sector as the largest source of greenhouse gas emissions in the United States. Fleet vehicles account for over 25% of these emissions yet account for only ~5% of the vehicles on the road.
XL Hybrids is a pioneering developer of hybrid electric and plug‐in powertrains that reduce oil consumption while also providing a good financial return. Our systems are available on Ford, GM, and Isuzu vehicles, and we sell to the largest fleets in the world such as Verizon, FedEx, and Pepsi. Our fleet‐ready™ electrification systems deliver cost‐effective solutions that enable commercial and municipal fleets to quickly and efficiently reduce transportation fuel consumption, lower operating costs, and measure performance to meet corporate sustainability goals. Founded by alumni of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, we are an ambitious and rapidly growing team, with a state‐of‐the‐art engineering facility in Boston. We are rapidly deploying our technology and are looking for high‐energy, creative, and ambitious people to join our team.
At XL Hybrids we offer a competitive salary, meaningful stock ownership, 401K, health benefits. Additionally, we offer a fun work environment and the opportunity to enter a high‐growth startup company. We are looking for candidates who have demonstrated leadership and excellence throughout their careers but are also excited about the prospect of creating positive change for our environment through the transformation of the fleet vehicle industry.
- Manage all core product development.
- Overall responsibility for supervising all on-vehicle electrified powertrain component and system development (e.g. XL Hybrid, XL Plug-in, and future product lines)
- Core components and subsystems include traction motors, motor drives (i.e. inverters), energy storage systems (i.e. high voltage lithium battery packs and alternative systems), microcontrollers, wireless communication subsystems (i.e. modems, Bluetooth, and other near field communications), and auxiliary electronics (e.g. on-board chargers, cooling systems, sensor systems, aux power systems, 12V aux electronics, etc…)
- Manage the “platform product” strategy to leverage commonality across OEM models to reduce development time and bill of materials (BOM) cost in serial production
- Manage cost reduction efforts
- Manage design priorities for safety, drivability, performance (primarily fuel and emissions savings) and serial production cost
- Support CARB emissions certification
- Overall responsibility for supervising all off-vehicle cloud system data analytics systems (e.g. XL Link)
- Overall responsibility for supervising all phases of development from concept, prototype, pilot production, and through volume serial production
- Design, development, development vendor sourcing, validation testing, and signoff release processes
- Approval of bill of materials release and software release
- Overall responsibility for QA process for receiving, analyzing, and implementing product, process, and supplier improvements (e.g. Corrective Actions)
- Manage engineering staff
- Direct reports include mechanical engineering staff, control systems manager, cloud/IT manager, and lab/facilities manager
- Establish group and individual objectives, review progress, and provide leadership to address identified risks to safety, quality, cost, or timeline
- Manage personnel issues and performance reviews
- Collaborate with talent acquisition team to grow the engineering team from 15 to 27 FTEs by end of 2018
- Collaborate with executive team on reviewing and refining the product roadmap
- Manage and provide regular reporting metrics to executive team on development milestone progress and performance of products.
- Candidate will report to the Chief Operating Officer
- Additional Responsibilities based on experience/interests
- BS in Mechanical and/or Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- 15+ years of managing hardware and software engineering development teams and products
- Direct experience with bringing new products to market and serial production in volumes of 100s to 1000s of units per year
- Must be able to work full time in XL Hybrids’ Boston office
- Direct experience in the development and commercialization of electrified vehicle control systems software
- Direct experience in the development of cellular/telematics software and hardware systems
- Direct experience with vehicle certification testing (FMVSS, EPA, and CARB) ---Practical working knowledge of: FMEA, APQP, PPAP, and Design (DV) & -Production (PV) planning and testing