Legal Counsel at SymphonyAI
Posted in Legal 11 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Los Altos, California
About Symphony AI Group:
At SymphonyAI we are transforming industries with intelligence. We partner with experienced entrepreneurial leaders from day zero to build disruptive AI businesses and to shape them into global market leaders. The firm is founded and led by Dr. Romesh Wadhwani, a highly successful Silicon Valley tech entrepreneur, investor, and philanthropist, SymphonyAI currently manages an investment capacity in excess of $250M.
Our team delivers advanced AI capabilities, a global infrastructure, deep operating experience, and a strong capital base to help launch and accelerate technology transformation in six core verticals: Healthcare, Industrials, Retail, Enterprise Applications, Enterprise ITOM, and FinTech.
SymphonyAI is headquartered in Los Altos, California with additional offices in Boston, New York, Boulder and India (Bangalore).
We are looking for a corporate attorney (ideally with VC / PE financing experience) who thrives on challenges and can work independently but collaboratively in a collegial team environment. The role will be the primary legal contact within the fund platform and will have daily interaction with SymphonyAI’s leadership team as well as with the executives across our portfolio.
Candidates must have the deep understanding and practical experience necessary to oversee all of the core legal responsibilities, the presence and ability to advise senior management, and the entrepreneurial ability and spirit to contribute to successfully building world class AI businesses.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Work closely with SymphonyAI’s investment partners & CFO to structure and negotiate investment deals.
- Assist in advising SymphonyAI and our portfolio companies on business formation, governance, and operating issues.
- Work with portfolio companies on acquisitions, dispositions, or other exit transactions.
- Assist in commercial considerations, including product development, international commercial requirements, and other market facing considerations.
- Negotiate contracts with key vendors, strategic partners, and customers on behalf of our portfolio executive teams.
- Provide corporate and securities law education and advice to management within SymphonyAI on matters relating to investment issues, legal compliance, policies and procedures for managing risk and pro-active solutions to complex legal issues.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Must be admitted and in good standing with the California bar.
- Excellent undergraduate academic credentials and JD from top law school. Academic background in engineering, computer science, or other hard sciences a benefit.
- Minimum of 3-4 years corporate, venture, securities, investment, and other corporate transactional experience with a recognized law firm.
- Hands-on venture capital investment and corporate finance experience (private equity and debt financing transactions), structuring, negotiating, and drafting agreements and leading cross-functional teams.
- Hands-on expertise in dealing with data, software, and other enterprise-focused tech startup issues, including intellectual property, licensing, commercial, competitive, and employment matters.
- IPO and M&A experience, including acquisitions, divestitures, and corporate reorganizations, is helpful.
- Sound business judgment and strategic thinking.
- Flexibility, initiative, and willingness to work on a broad variety of legal matters.
- Hard-working, highly team-oriented, well-organized, and able to manage numerous projects simultaneously under pressure.
- Professional experience working in one or more of our core six investment areas is beneficial and should be highlighted.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a good sense of humor.
This position is full-time and compensation is based on work experience.