Senior EHS Specialist at US01 Illumina, Inc.
Posted in Military/Defense 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: San Diego, California
Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. Life at Illumina is about working with teammates who are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives. We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Just check out our investor events and presentations to learn about our financial accomplishments. Our growth isn’t just in financials, we’ve been busy hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies each of the last three years. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you. Join the journey of a lifetime. Join Illumina.
The San Diego Site Sr EHS Specialist is responsible for supporting and and executing EHS strategy and corporate EHS programs across all San Diego locations, ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations and effective risk management. This individual will drive EHS improvements throughout all Illumina operations, as part of a highly innovative and collaborative business model. The vision for Illumina is that every Illumina employee will be a leader in EHS. The EHS Specialist is an individual contributor and will play a role in helping Illumina to achieve this vision through high engagement and empowerment with our employees.
All About You
- Support the site based EHS operations
- Provide support of assigned EHS programs in a fast paced, cross functional and highly collaborative environment.
- Promote, reinforce and sustain a strong safety culture through engagement with site leadership and operational teams.
- Lead assigned EHS programs.
- Support and improve EHS programs and processes
- Assist in the implementation of EHS management system elements.
- Interface with all regulatory agencies on assigned EHS matters
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to solve EHS related challenges
- Conduct risk assessments to control and reduce safety hazards and risk of injury or chemical release. Ensure Risk Assessments are effectively conducted for new processes, product development processes, and new equipment.
- Support site safety committees, emergency response teams, operational excellence events
- Develop and deliver EHS training programs
- Program support may include some or all of the following: chemical handling, biosafety, hazardous and bio-hazardous waste, ergonomics, electrical safety, confined spaces, lockout / tag-out, process safety management, emergency response, respiratory protection, industrial hygiene, storm water pollution prevention program, incident management, occupational health, laser safety, construction management, contractor safety, worker compensation, powered industrial trucks, and other EHS programs
- Provide effective Incident Response and follow up
- Conduct Incident Investigation and Root Cause Analysis. Ensure injury and illness cases are effectively managed to closure.
- Support the monthly safety inspection program
- Support the internal permit to work process
- Help support roll out of safety culture and grass roots safety
- Help support the roll out of new safety databases and software tools.
- Partner with supply chain, R&D, manufacturing, engineering, quality and all administrative functions to engage all employees in the safety and sustainability programs.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience.
- Professional certification preferred: CSP or CIH
- Strong desire to champion EHS excellence throughout Illumina.
- Experience with enterprise EHS software systems design, process, communication, and implementation.
- EHS Leadership skills that inspire others to desire and achieve EHS excellence.
- Solid understanding of applying EHS regulations/standards
- Ability to influence at all levels of the organization.
- Experience with VPP, OHSAS, and ISO is a plus.
- Experience building strong partnerships with employees and developing a safety culture that is integrated throughout all levels of the organization
- Strong teamwork skills across a team operating globally.
- Energetic and positive enthusiasm disposition.
- Strong verbal and written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to measure and communicate the business value of safety
- Experience in IVD/Med Device/Life Sciences industry is a plus
- Effective educator and strong ability to interact with all levels of the organization.
- Effective leadership, presentation, and persuasion skills
- Experience working in fast paced and dynamic environment with fast global business growth.
- Ability to prioritize and execute work among competing priorities.
- Minimum of BS Degree in Industrial Safety, Occupational Health & Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Sciences, Environmental Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering. (Master's Degree preferred).
- Safety Certification preferred (CSP, CHMM, CIH, etc.)
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at 858-255-5081. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf