Attorney II at American Tower Corporation
Posted in Legal 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Woburn, Massachusetts
The Attorney II is responsible for the negotiation, drafting, review and administration of tenant licensing matters and real estate transactions. Representative transactions include preparation of all documents relating to tenant licenses, ground leases, easements and the resolution of land-related issues that may impact a pending customer application or ground lease negotiation. The incumbent reviews and provides legal analysis of contract terminations, renewals and assignments as well as responses to contractual defaults. The incumbent is expected to understand and manage the legal and business decisions related to the company’s status as a Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT).
- Develop and maintain thorough knowledge of all applicable customer agreements and regularly communicate with external customers regarding contractual rights and obligations.
- Inform external customers and internal teams of project statuses, procedural requirements and changes that impact the business relationship.
- Resolve complex tenant satisfaction issues relating to agreement compliance as they arise and ensure consistent application of procedures.
- Coordinate with Landlord Relations department to resolve satisfaction issues with property owners.
- Negotiate standard form license agreement terms with customers, real estate documents with property owners, and coordinate with Site Leasing Management, Project Management, Operations, Site Development, Managed Networks and Finance to resolve escalated business and legal issues.
- Work with internal teams and external customers to identify land-related issues that may delay or inhibit a customer’s ability to license space at a particular location or delay negotiations relating to a ground lease.
- Prepare new license agreements, amendments to license agreements, ground lease documents, annex parcel leases, use authorization and consent agreements, memoranda of lease and consent and notice letters for land-related transactions in compliance with American Tower’s standards.
- Review and confirm accuracy of pricing of tenant contracts to ensure compliance with national agreements or market standards prior to distribution for customer review.
- Prepare legal analysis and negotiate resolution of property owner transactions, and customer requests relating to terminations, renewals and assignments.
- Resolve title curative issues in accordance with departmental and company policy including but not limited to missing deeds, missing memoranda of lease/assignments, utility and access easement issues, mortgages, all liens except mechanic’s liens, probate issues, improper signature authority and issues concerning American Tower entities, working with external title companies as required,.
- Assess legal access and utility easement needs and draft easements and right of way documents.
- Negotiate resolution of customer issues related to non-compliance with license agreements, Coordinate with Supervisor, Asset Integrity to identify and resolve equipment-related discrepancies.
- Make independent recommendations on business issues and independent decisions regarding resolution of legal issues.
- Work closely with Site Leasing Management, Legal Operations, Collocation Project Management, Customer Accounting, Operations, Land Management, Finance, Services, Site Development, and Network Management to ensure constant open lines of communication exist in order to promote expeditious resolution of issues delaying contract processing.
- Ensure process efficiency and accurate and timely deliverables within provided cycle time goals.
- This position may require the incumbent to have discussions or negotiations with government officials on topics that may include: project implementation, challenging of interpretations, or advocating for or against existing or proposed legislation, regulation or interpretation of law.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- Strong organizational skills; ability to accomplish multiple tasks within agreed upon timeframes through effective prioritization of duties and functions in a fast-paced environment
- Self-motivated; Able to work both independently to complete tasks and respond to department requests, as well as collaborating with others to utilize resources and knowledge of others in identifying high quality solutions
- Excellent ability to follow up on pending items, track project progress and stay current on project status and milestones
- Ability to effectively build and maintain relationships both within the department and throughout the company
- Ability to analyze data and leverage experience and legal knowledge to effectively formulate and present quality recommendations to all levels throughout the company
- Ability to apply legal expertise and experience to make sound business decisions; Knowledgeable in practices, trends, technology and information that affect the department and the organization
- Ability to work with a high level of autonomy.
- Excellent negotiation skills; ability to effectively resolve complex issues and conflict in relation to agreement and contract compliance
- Excellent application of attention to detail in the preparation and review of contracts and agreements; Excellent legal drafting skills
- Strong computer skills; Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, Word, and familiarity with Access database
- Juris Doctor and license to practice law (any state) required
- Minimum 5 years of relevant legal experience required
- Experience negotiating complex contract/license and drafting original or unique contractual provisions strongly preferred
- Experience in the tower or carrier industry strongly preferred
100% performed in climate-controlled internal office environment working under normal office conditions. Approximately 0-10% travel will be required in support of the position’s responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; walk; use hands and finger to feel and handle; reach with arms and hands; talk and hear. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel, and crouch; lift weight or exert a force up to a maximum of 25 pounds.