Urban Designer at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP
Posted in Science 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: New York, New York
SOM, one of the most influential design firms in the world, is seeking innovative, creative, independent, and critical thinkers who aspire to the highest standards of excellence. Join our collaborative design practice as an Urban Designerfor the opportunity to build a strong and thriving career.
The SOM Urban Planning Studio seeks an Urban Designer with 3-5 years of experience, strong design ability and leadership capabilities, who is willing to travel to international locations.
Desired skills and expertise:
- Contributes to general preparation of master planning and site planning documents and models
- Exhibits understanding of programming, zoning codes, building, open space and urban planning typologies as well as transportation planning
- Exhibits understanding of design philosophy of projects and relates assigned tasks to that philosophy
- Performs documentation and presentation work, including diagrams, spreadsheets, scale comparisons and visualizations
- Checks and coordinates calculations and scales
- Coordinates work with the project team and consultants
Completion of a five-year or six-year architectural degree program and graduate of one-two year urban design/planning program
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in urban design and planning
- Demonstrates general knowledge of urban design and planning, urban history and theory, planning and environmental law, and private and public development
SOM offers opportunities to work on transformational projects, competitive salaries, health insurance, wellness, retirement and financial and other work/life plans.
At SOM, we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. We believe an inclusive environment benefits our employees, our firm, and our community, while also enriching and challenging our own thinking about design. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Visit this page to learn more about SOM's employment policy and how to apply offline: www.som.com/employment_opportunities_and_policy
For more about SOM: www.som.com (For external posts only if possible)
Portfolios must be submitted for all design positions (Architecture, Interiors, Planning, etc). Applications without work samples will not be reviewed. Portfolios should be one PDF attachment, 10-20 pages, maximum 5 MB. Submit portfolios as part of your application in the section where the application asks you for your Resume or CV.