Registered Nurse - Emergency Room - Full-Time 12 Hours Evenings at University of Southern California
Posted in General Business 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Glendale, California
Statement of Purpose:
Under general supervision of the Clinical Director, the staff nurse is accountable for the delivery of skilled patient care, unit activities, and supervision of the team members for a specified shift.
Major functions, duties and responsibilities:
1. Triage patients upon presentation to the Emergency Department.
2. Assesses the patient and family needs and completes admission assessment documentation.
3. Documents patient status at the time of admission, transfer, or discharge to and from nursing unit.
4. Sets priorities in planning for patient needs.
5. Utilization of the departmental grease board concerning patient status.
6. Performs technical skills safely and according to accepted procedure.
7. Demonstrates ability to use equipment according to accepted procedure.
8. Is knowledgeable about signs and symptoms of patient conditions most commonly encountered in the pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patient and understands the patho-physiology as demonstrated by appropriate nursing interventions.
9. Is knowledgeable about medications and IV solutions in terms of purpose, side effects, and contraindications in the pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patient.
10. Instructs the patient and/or family in identified knowledge and/or skills deficits.
11. Evaluates and documents the response of patients and/or family to teaching.
12. Evaluates and documents the response to medications and/or treatments.
13. Provides feedback for co-workers concerning appropriate or inappropriate nursing interventions.
14. Demonstrates responsiveness to co-members by listening, providing support, or referring to appropriate source of help if indicated.
15. Recognizes own limitations and seeks help from appropriate sources when needed.
16. Assumes computer duties when necessary or when assigned.
17. Communicates with Clinical Director regarding new or temporary employees assigned to the unit.
18. Makes self available to listen to patient and family concerns.
19. Addresses patient with appropriate title as agreed by patient and family.
20. Communicates concise and appropriate information concerning patient's needs and condition to physician and ancillary departments.
21. Communicates concise and appropriate information concerning patient's needs and condition by way of inter-shift reports.
22. Attends a minimum of three (3) staff meetings per year, or reads and initials that they have read minutes from staff meeting.
23. Participates in Nursing Department committees as requested.
24. Seeks experiences to enhance clinical knowledge of the pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patient as evidenced by maintaining education file on unit.
25. Submits copies of CEU certificates for outside seminars to Clinical Director yearly.
26. Participates in annual Competency evaluation.
27. Maintains current BCLS , ACLS and PALS certification.
28. Appearance is in accordance with nursing policy. Wears complete uniform and photo identification badge.
29. Maintains confidentiality regarding patient information.
30. Cooperates with and accepts changes in policy, procedure, personnel, and environment.
31. Accepts guidance and direction from the Clinical Director.
32. Contributes to positive unit atmosphere as evidenced by a smile, eye contact, friendly demeanor, etc., as defined by guest relations policy.
33. Is ready to begin working at the scheduled time.
34. Utilizes time effectively to complete assignments on time.
35. Unscheduled time off does not exceed an average of six to eight days annually.
36. Demonstrates flexibility in response to unexpected change in volume, emergencies, staffing, or scheduling.
- Eligibility, as defined the California Board of Nursing, to sit for the Registered Nurse licensing examination.
- At least 1 year of acute inpatient hospital experience in the United States.
Minimum Field of Expertise:
- Valid California Registered Nursing license. Specialty certification preferred.
- Current Basic Life Support for Healthcare Provider card from the American Heart Association.
- Current Advanced Cardiac Life Support card from the American Heart Association.
- Current Pediatric Advanced Life Support card from the American Heart Association.
- Successful completion of basic arrhythmia course.
- AB-508 training.
- 8 hours of pediatric BRN approved education every 2 years.
As part of Keck Medicine of USC, USC Verdugo Hills Hospital is the only community hospital in the Foothills area of Los Angeles backed by an academic medical center. With its 40-year legacy of personalized care from expert physicians, experience nurses and a dedicated staff the community has come to know and trust, USC-VHH brings patients the latest medical advancements and 24/7 emergency services. Join this world-class team providing highly-specialized care, up-to-the-minute research and innovative clinical trials.
REQ20058781 Posted Date: 05/14/2018