Controls Engineer at Meritor, Inc.
Posted in Management 8 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Laurinburg, North Carolina
The Controls Engineer is a key member of the Engineering team. In this role, you will establish practices, processes, procedures, and solutions with special equipment for production to achieve safety, quality and productivity targets. In addition to this, you will support day to day plant issues, gather information for requirements, develop technical proposals, design and develop solutions for complex equipment controls and MES (Manufacturing Execution Systems) projects. This position will work under the instruction of the Senior Controls Engineer.
• Works with and assists plant maintenance to solve day to day issues and transfer all knowledge and know-how to plant maintenance personnel as needed.
• Possesses a high level of technical aptitude to provide technical project insight, advice and support.
• Establishing program plant by determining requirements, time frame, funding, savings, and staffing; approving program schedule.
• Establishes and achieves financial objectives by preparing a program budget; scheduling and approving expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
• Develops and supports interfaces for equipment communications with shop-floor tools and devices.
• Electrical & Controls design capabilities (conceptualization of control systems, development of schematics, component specification, costing, panel building and wiring)
• Provides electrical designs and programming within applicable standards to build new or modify existing production machines and systems.
• Generates manuals, design documents, PM schedules and spare parts lists for all Error Proofing/Poka-Yoke solutions for Manufacturing Engineering and Maintenance Personnel.
• Responsible for changes to control logic and software including, but not limited to: Safety Systems, PLCs, HMIs, MES Systems, and PC based logic.
• Prepares program status reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
• Assist with defining MES solution architectures and develops detailed design specifications.
• Provide expert knowledge and experience regarding equipment programmable logic controllers (PLCs) to guide, and sometimes accomplish, technical effort required to implement complex MES solutions.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering required.
• Minimum 5 years of experience in manufacturing production environment required to include product launches, Error Proofing/Poka-Yoke implementation proficiency and MES launch experience.
• Understanding and experience in the Project Management Life Cycle process required/.
• Experience using Concept to Customer methodology or equivalent APQP or Project Management Life Cycle process required.
• Demonstrated leadership and communication skills required.
• Hands-on manufacturing involvement in the launch of a new product and/or manufacturing cost improvement project implementation experience required.
• Experience programming with Allen Bradley PLCs, and HMIs highly preferred.
• Competent in reading electrical schematics.
• Familiar with Vision Systems to incorporate into Error Proofing/Poka-Yoke solutions.
• Familiar with Torque Controllers/Tools (i.e. Atlas Copco, AIMCO, Cleco, Sturtevant Richmont Wireless Tools).
• Strong knowledge of the Control Logix, Compact Logix, Micro Logic, SLC and Factory Talk software is highly preferred.
• Possess strong ability of troubleshooting electro-mechanical systems (motors, drives, PLCs and other control and mechanical systems).
• Expert knowledge of complex automation with PLC background, special machines, hydraulics, pneumatics and robotics programming interface preferred.
• Mechanical/manufacturing Engineering experience
• Ability to work in cross-functional environment, gaining consensus and cooperation.
• Ability to make decisions under pressure and tight timelines.
• Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize workload and meet deadlines with a problem solving mentality.
• Expert user of MS Office Suite of software and manufacturing related technologies, CAD experience is a must.