Medical Technologist (606080) at Zimmer US
Posted in Health Care 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Responsible for all areas of laboratory testing including pre-analytic, analytic, and post-analytic. Participates in rotating weekend coverage for all departments. Maintain a calm and positive attitude even when dealing with difficult situations. Continually looks for ways to improve efficiency and reduce operating costs. Assists with development and implementation of new policies or procedures.
Hours are 12:00 P.M. to 8:30 P.M. and will include one Saturday per month.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Receive specimens into the lab and verify adequacy for testing
- Label all specimens with barcodes after entry into the LIS (Laboratory Information System)
- Perform all necessary processing steps to prepare specimens for testing, i.e., centrifugation, mixing, plating of culture specimens, etc.
- Maintain quality assurance logs to document inadequate or missing specimens
- Perform and document all required instrument maintenance and calibrations as needed
- Perform and document all required quality control. Assure that testing is not performed until acceptable results are obtained
- Assist with training and supervision of new employees and lab assistants in all technical areas
- Participate in and document annual continuing education
- Perform all testing according to SOPM
- Enter test results into LIS and verify that results are being entered via the electronic instrument-LIS interface
- Review and release all test results. Review questionable or critical results with a senior technologist
- Assure that all critical values are reported to the ordering physician as soon as test results are validated
- Update patient charts with all notes pertaining to specimen adequacy or specific test information
- Provide technical information about test results to physicians
- Participate in individual or group projects or on designated committees when requested to do so by the Technical Supervisor or Lab Manager
Expected Areas of Competence
- Ability to independently perform all procedures in a timely manner
- Detail oriented, analytical, and alert, as the work is of a non-routine nature
- Possess effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and work in a team environment and build relationships with other areas of the organization.
- Familiarity with the administrative aspects for the laboratory operating procedures
- Ability to exercise good judgment in determining the reasonableness of the results
- Ability to use a calculator and perform reliable calculations; ability to keep and record accurate and legible data; ability to work with small hand tools; ability to transport items in the 30-pound range
• Bachelor’s degree in Medical Technology or related field
• Strong written and verbal skills and attention to detail
• Ability to troubleshoot and solve operating errors
• Basic understanding of the IT and EMR industry
• Preference given to candidates with ASCP, ASM, or equivalent certification