Category Team Leader Walmart Advisors | MWC at Mars Incorporated
Posted in Sales 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Bentonville, Arkansas
A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world’s best-loved brands: M&M’s®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN’S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
Team Leader, Category Leadership, Walmart/Sam’s is responsible for managing a team to deliver category leadership solutions for Mars Wrigley Confectionery. This role is expected to provide fact and insight based solutions that drive growth for the category at Walmart/Sam’s enabled via a unique functional competency framework. Utilizing shopper insight, opportunity identification and full understanding of products, assortment, pricing, placement, shelving, promotion, merchandising transformation, and digital commerce; this role is the primary manager for the “Center of Insights” team supporting the Advisors’ influence on customer actions. This role will work closely with internal and external partners (per Advisor guidelines) to guide decisions toward profitable category growth.
Reporting to Director of Category Leadership – Walmart/Sam’s, this role is part of the field sales organization.
This role has people management responsibilities for their team to include:
• Planning talent needs, recruiting, hiring and selecting talent
• Assessing potential and co-creating development plans with individual reports; providing coaching, championing to realize individual potential and fulfill development plan
• Developing talent and retaining talent, helping prepare them for future roles within Mars, Inc.
• Setting expectations and overseeing the achievement of individual objectives, monitoring performance and providing on-going feedback
• Coaching and directing for optimal performance and achievement of Company, Category Leadership organization and individual objectives
Responsible for team building and team management to include –
• Setting tone, motivation, common purpose and specific expectations for the team to ensure team success in the achievement of company and customer business goals
• Being a critical communication link between customer team and company management by disseminating company information and direction to the team in a timely, actionable manner
• Being a critical communication link between team and company to provide team feedback on recommended business growth opportunities and resources needed to seize them.
Responsible for managing and setting direction for the Customer Development managers on customer category leadership activity to include:
• Create and plan category leadership in-store and digital solutions that deliver profitable sales growth for customer. These solutions should include shopper and category insights across: products/assortment (everyday/new products/promoted/seasonal), placement and everyday shelving and merchandising, pricing (everyday, seasonal, and promotional), promotions and seasonal merchandising
• Co-create and implement (with customer, customer team, internal and external partners) a customer category vision and long term strategic category, coordinating efforts within your team to influence.
• Influence customer to identify category-driving opportunities, assist with any research and lead projects to deliver solutions that are beneficial for both customer and company; work with internal partners as appropriate.
• Influence Annual Business Planning for customer by providing actionable insights and solutions that support category leadership objectives for customer; work with internal partners as appropriate (per Advisor Guidelines)
• Leverage insights and resources through the utilization of a broad range of data sources, market research findings, tools, analyses, and technology to continually bring new shopper ideas to customer and company; incorporating actionable insights into all category solutions.
• Enhance category advisory influence through continually identifying creative and improved methods and approaches for analyzing data, then utilizing “story telling” to influence business growth through the data.
• Possess working knowledge of Walmart/Sam’s modular process (including Assortment Discipline), enhancing modular efficiencies and guiding modular strategy for the team.
• Partner with both internal and external stakeholders (per Advisor Guidelines) to develop Digital Commerce strategy, leveraging available tools and resources to build our business in the digital space.
• Partner closely with our team’s dedicated Shopper Insights Manager to develop, implement and communicate robust shopper learning agendas which compliment both Walmart/Sam’s strategic plans.
Key Functional Competencies & Technical Skills:
• In-Store Strategies and Tactics
• Category First
• Effective Sales Management
• Bachelor's degree
• 8 years of experience in sales, category leadership, analytics, d-commerce, etc.
• 2 years of experience with key accounts
• The knowledge, skills, and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor's degree program in a related field, or equivalent work experience.
• Ability to travel 20%+ of the time
• Successful completion of a drug and background screen
• A valid driver's license and clean driving record
• Ability to work in the Bentonville field sales office
• 8+ years of experience in In Store Strategies and Tactics, Shopper Understanding and Category Leadership Expertise
• Advanced Degree in Business/Marketing
• Walmart/Sam’s Category Advisory Experience
• Retail Sales Experience
• Digital Commerce Experience
• 2 years experience in customer marketing or category management
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.