Principal Engineer Packaging Global Innovation Center at Mars Incorporated
Posted in Engineering 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Chicago, Illinois
A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
Mars has net sales of more than $33 billion, operates six business segments including Petcare, Chocolate, Wrigley, Food, Drinks, Symbioscience, and more than 75,000 Associates worldwide that are putting its Principles into action to make a difference for people and the planet through its performance.
Mars brands include: Petcare – PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, BANFIELD® Pet Hospital, CESAR®, SHEBA®, DREAMIES® and NUTRO®; Chocolate – M&M’S®, SNICKERS®, DOVE®, GALAXY®, MARS®, MILKY WAY® and TWIX®; Wrigley – DOUBLEMINT®, EXTRA®, ORBIT® and 5™ chewing gums, SKITTLES® and STARBURST® candies, and ALTOIDS® AND LIFESAVERS® mints. Food – UNCLE BEN’S®, DOLMIO®, EBLY®, MASTERFOODS®, SEEDS OF CHANGE® and ROYCO®; Drinks – ALTERRA COFFEE ROASTERS™, THE BRIGHT TEA COMPANY™, KLIX® and FLAVIA®; Symbioscience – COCOAVIA® and WISDOM PANEL®.
Job Title Principal Engineer Molding, Seasonal and Gifting
Reports to Director Packaging Development
Segment Mars Wrigley Confectionery
Job Function Packaging / R&D
Location Chicago, IL (GIC)
This role provides technical & project management leadership to support global Packaging projects for the Chocolate CBU. The jobholder will take leadership of the key packaging innovation platforms for gifting, seasonal and molding. This role will shape the innovation program in the gifting, seasonal and moulding setting up the relationships with key packaging suppliers, the technology team and relevant universities / design agencies / external bodies.
The jobholder will also act as the key technical coach for the gifting, seasonal and molding team as well as the wider packaging community both in the global and regional teams.
This role provides technical leadership of critical projects with global stakeholders, handing over the leadership to the lead implementation market/region.
- Main responsibility: Build the innovation framework for the Packaging Chocolate CBU team (ie the external collaboration program that will enable the team to bring the best packaging innovation solution that are desirable, feasible and viable)
- Provides technical leadership across the entire team
- Ensure leadership of large scale global growth initiatives
- Partners with the regional R&D packaging teams to deploy new innovation in the regions by ensuring the right detailed development of the global concept is executed to the right level of key quality attributes
- Provides strategic input to the chocolate Packaging Category Business Team (CBU) on the relevant innovation platforms
- Develop and champion the external network in the packaging team. Collaborates closely with the technology team and other Packaging CBUs
- Key member of the CBU team for all front end innovation programs in the seasonal, gifting and molding area.
- Responsibility for developing/maintaining expertise to support total chocolate Packaging (e.g. front-end framework, technical leadership…)
- Identifies global Packaging business opportunities and is partnering with the relevant internal and external stakeholders and peers to bring those opportunities to life
- Provides subject matter expert leadership in Packaging. Actively explores opportunities for Mars Wrigley Confectionery (MWC) in order to address global business problems/opportunities.
- Works with External partners and other Mars segments to develop and leverage strategic suppliers and consulting networks (including Universities) to effectively bring new ideas to life. Shares, and collaborates pro-actively within the MWC Packaging team and across the Segments.
- Represents R&D in relevant business forums and processes (linked to the global S&OP+ process, the relevant feeder meetings and the relevant R&D governance and technical forums).
- Champion Sustainability – partner with the Technology team and other sustainability team across MWC to develop and implement the Packaging Sustainability Strategy (ensure training across the CBU Chocolate Packaging team).
Context and Scope
The associate will have an important impact to the business with accountability for deploying impactful Packaging Innovation and Sustainability initiatives for the chocolate CBU. Decision making authority will reside within the prioritization of projects together with the Seasonal, Gifting and Molding Packaging Manager and cross functional counterparts to deliver project execution and appropriate identification of resources required for the projects. The associate will drive the prioritized initiatives working with cross functions through stage gates and handover to the relevant region/lead market. Areas of influence and interaction: globally (multiple functions specifically Marketing, Supply and Commercial), interacts with Global brands, Central Packaging teams, factories, co-manufacturers/packers (depending on project), suppliers and the External world (e.g. suppliers, Universities). Uses the Mars 5 principles when managing packaging changes through the business. Develops, optimizes and embeds ways of working that are required to deliver global innovation to the regions and coaches other members of the team.
- M.S. or PhD degree in Packaging, Packaging Materials, Materials Science, Physics, Chemistry, Polymer Science or Engineering with packaging work experience and proven records (on the Market)
- The Principal Packaging Engineer is a subject matter expert in Packaging systems, Packaging materials and Packaging technologies.
- Role model the ‘Innovates for Growth’ competency (advanced), and through design thinking: embody 'deep consumer and customer empathy' within the CBU Chocolate Packaging Development team
- Strategic thinking: Ability to understand the business strategy and work within sometimes ambiguous constraints. Ability to demonstrate technical strategy development and execution.
- Leadership skills: Proven ability to drive large scale & complex initiatives complex packaging program from concept through qualification and to influence without authority.
- Technical leadership and strong Project Management, proven for complex initiatives and programs.
- Proven passion and technical capability and demonstrate creativity in turning insights into packaging opportunities and solutions.
- Outstanding understanding of the desirable, feasible, viable approach and is able to demonstrate problem solving and analytical approaches.
Key Supporting Competencies
- Strategic Agility
- Innovation Management
- Business Acumen
- Driving Results
- Motivating Others
- Command Skills
- Organizational agility
- Action Orientation
Key Functional Competencies & Technical Skills
- Framing Business Challenges
- Design for Quality & Efficiency
- Risk & Opportunity identification
- Capturing & Leveraging Knowledge
- Scale Up & Deploy
- Internal & External Networks
- Insights Discovery & Interpretation
- Strong Project Management and complex problem solving skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.