Process Development Engineer- Wet at Mars Incorporated
Posted in Engineering 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Franklin, Tennessee
A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
Mars has net sales of more than $33 billion, operates six business segments including Petcare, Chocolate, Wrigley, Food, Drinks, Symbioscience, and more than 75,000 Associates worldwide that are putting its Principles into action to make a difference for people and the planet through its performance.
Mars brands include: Petcare – PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, BANFIELD® Pet Hospital, CESAR®, SHEBA®, DREAMIES® and NUTRO®; Chocolate – M&M’S®, SNICKERS®, DOVE®, GALAXY®, MARS®, MILKY WAY® and TWIX®; Wrigley – DOUBLEMINT®, EXTRA®, ORBIT® and 5™ chewing gums, SKITTLES® and STARBURST® candies, and ALTOIDS® AND LIFESAVERS® mints. Food – UNCLE BEN’S®, DOLMIO®, EBLY®, MASTERFOODS®, SEEDS OF CHANGE® and ROYCO®; Drinks – ALTERRA COFFEE ROASTERS™, THE BRIGHT TEA COMPANY™, KLIX® and FLAVIA®; Symbioscience – COCOAVIA® and WISDOM PANEL®.
Position Title Senior Process Development Engineer
Reports To Wet R&D Process & Technology Manager
Location Franklin, TN
Level of Role
Number of Reports
(0 - 2 direct, 0 indirect)
Purpose of Role:
The Senior Process Engineer is accountable for driving key technology & innovation initiatives for Mars Petcare North American aligned with the strategic focus areas for the wet platform. They will lead cross functional teams in support of delivering these major technical initiates. They will lead the investigation of novel technologies as well as further development & optimization of existing industry technologies, recommending new capabilities. They will partners with stakeholders across R&D, Marketing, and Consumer and Market Insights to identify key consumer and business needs and translate them into validated concepts supported by a strong business case. They will collaborate with the wet GIC, Engineering, IE, and the Sites to translate business insights into meaningful technical solutions. They will act as a technical lead for the Wet R&D team as well as mentoring new process associates in platform technology and processing excellence.
- Engages consumers, customers, and experts to identify trends and insights and then translates those into meaningful innovation opportunities.
- Partners with internal stakeholders to create, develop & deploy technical platform solutions that deliver to key consumer propositions.
- Initiate test plan development, experimental setup, test execution and data analysis to quantify key process and packaging machine parameters and fundamental mechanisms at both pilot and factory scale.
- Deliver scalable process specifications collaboratively developed with Product Development and the Wet GIC to achieve exceptional product attribute targets and ensure superior product quality and food safety.
- Identify and evaluate innovative processing options based on product attribute requirements including evaluation based on technical and economic feasibility.
- Build/maintain networks within the Technology, Product Implementation, Packaging, Engineering, QS and Platform Technology teams.
- Provide scalable technology platforms within the business strategy.
- Delivery of IP for technical insulation of new technology.
- Apply Lean Thinking principles and Value Added Engineering. Identify and implement cost savings and rate optimization opportunities.
- Builds and leverages robust internal and external networks for early identification of industry trends and key enabling technologies.
- Builds plan for future development of specific production areas, including the development of initial flow diagrams for the proposed process.
- Identifies, recommends, and selects bench top and pilot scale equipment for proof of concept demonstration.
- Secures competitive advantage for the business by identifying, documenting, and delivering intellectual property around, or gaining exclusivity to, new technologies.
- Embrace and live the Mars culture by leading with The Five Principles
- Ability to adjust, adapt, respond to, and be resourceful in the face of change to deliver business objectives
Mission Critical Competencies
- Action Oriented
- Customer Focus
- Drive for Results
- Organizational Agility
R&D Functional Competencies
- Horizon Scanning
- Communication of Research Outcomes
- Internal and External Networks
- Managing and Capturing Value
- Research Design and Execution
Key Functional Skills/Knowledge
- Experienced in effectively translating consumer insights into new opportunities and solving challenges through iterative prototyping.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple, concurrent strategic and tactical projects.
- A strong knowledge over a broad range of food processes and technologies in addition to a robust professional network is essential to enable translation of insights into validated concepts, supported by a strong business case.
- Demonstrated expertise in relevant food manufacturing processes, equipment, and technologies, along with industry regulatory requirements.
- 10 - 15 years in R&D or Engineering development
- BS/MS/PHD in Mechanical/Chemical Engineering or similar technical degree.
Decision Making Authority and Impact
Decisions and Impact
- Impacts Mars Petcare incremental growth targets through delivery of consumer relevant propositions and business solutions aligned with growth focus areas
- Influences annual CAB budget in support of future innovation needs
- Key product and package design requirements
- New processing technology needs and applications
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.