Quality and Food Safety Manager at Mars Incorporated
Posted in Science 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: San Bernardino, California
A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
Mars has net sales of more than $33 billion, operates six business segments including Petcare, Chocolate, Wrigley, Food, Drinks, Symbioscience, and more than 75,000 Associates worldwide that are putting its Principles into action to make a difference for people and the planet through its performance.
Mars brands include: Petcare – PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, BANFIELD® Pet Hospital, CESAR®, SHEBA®, DREAMIES® and NUTRO®; Chocolate – M&M’S®, SNICKERS®, DOVE®, GALAXY®, MARS®, MILKY WAY® and TWIX®; Wrigley – DOUBLEMINT®, EXTRA®, ORBIT® and 5™ chewing gums, SKITTLES® and STARBURST® candies, and ALTOIDS® AND LIFESAVERS® mints. Food – UNCLE BEN’S®, DOLMIO®, EBLY®, MASTERFOODS®, SEEDS OF CHANGE® and ROYCO®; Drinks – ALTERRA COFFEE ROASTERS™, THE BRIGHT TEA COMPANY™, KLIX® and FLAVIA®; Symbioscience – COCOAVIA® and WISDOM PANEL®.
Position Title: Quality & Food Safety Manager
Reports To: Regional Quality & Food Safety Manager
Job Level: T2
Level of Role
Number of Reports
Direct (management associates) - 0
Direct (non-management associates) - 2 or more
Indirect (management associates) - 0
Indirect (non-management associates) - 2 or more
Purpose of Role
This position leads the site Quality Assurance resources to assure the on-going production of high quality and safe food products that comply with product design and meet or exceed customer and consumer expectations.
As a member of the site staff, the position is responsible to implement all quality systems, assure effective change management and drive continuous process improvement.
As the primary R&D representative at the site, the position has shared accountability to support research projects in raw materials, product development and process improvement.
- Manages all quality assurance and laboratory (technical services) functions for the site.
- As a member of the site staff, participates in and influences the development and implementation of site strategies.
- Provides direction and influence for the development, implementation and continuous improvement of all quality systems.
- Assures that all products and packs produced at the site are safe for consumption and conform to the intended product design. This includes being responsible for actively supporting change management and process improvement as the R&D Quality Champion.
- Supports the quality and product safety components of all R&D driven projects at the site through quality planning, and by project oversight for compliance to GMP’s and other company policies and standards.
- In partnership with the brand teams, supports the site implementation of all new products, line extensions and continuous quality improvement projects including the effective execution of line trials and execution of process capability evaluations.
- Manages the internal quality audit function for site and assures the effectiveness of the corrective and preventative action process within the framework of the plant’s Quality Management System.
- Represent the “owners” of the Mars business at the site with respect to the quality and safety of products and the food processing environment. This responsibility includes participation in the management of crises involving products, and the timely communication of the investigation results through R&D and Supply. Also responsible for the on-going interpretation and reporting of information from our customers and consumers, and the identification and analysis of trends, which may trigger an investigation.
- Manage QFS Technologists in the site to assure skills development and build clear succession planning, manage daily attendance, and associate development plans. Provide timely feedback on performance and provide training opportunities which align with development plans.
- Ensure adherence to the Mars Global Quality and Food Safety Standards.
- Recommendation for food safety decisions that can have catastrophic impact to consumer protection and Brand image.
- Support field retrieval of product that could result in significant financial business impact.
- Product conformance to specifications and requirements.
- Notification of product quality and safety issues; identifying business risks and expedient communication of issues
- Approval of change management activities.
- Staffing requirements and changes in alignment of resources.
- Management of site quality budget.
- Execution and planning of internal audit and CAPA program (budgeting, resource allocation, etc.).
- Technical training requirements for the team and their individual development plans.
- Local equipment purchases, including laboratory instrumentation.
- Recommendation for line operation shut down due to product quality or safety issues in the process or site environment.
- Product dispositions for held items.
- As a staff member, participate in the development and implementation of site strategies.
- Local quality systems projects for site improvement.
- Laboratory analytical support required to troubleshoot and resolve site issues.
Mission Critical Competencies
- Conflict Management
- Customer Focus
- Developing Direct Reports
- Hiring & Staffing
- Managing Vision and Purpose
- Building Effective Teams
- Technical/Functional Skills
- Action Oriented
- Dealing with Ambiguity
Key Functional Skills/Knowledge
- HACCP and food safety management
- FSSC22000 scheme and quality management systems
- Project & Change Management Processes
- Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Integrated Sanitation and Pest Control Management
- GMP and Personnel Hygiene Management
- Minimum 1 years of experience as a manager of people
- A Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Food Science, Engineering or related technical field is required
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in a technical area such as R&D, product development, laboratory management, quality management systems, or food process engineering
- Experience effectively leading a team and accomplishing goals through others
- Basic understanding of regulatory and food law, including AAFCO Guidelines
- Advanced degree is desirable
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.