Direct Ship Operator at Mars Incorporated
Posted in Manufacturing 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Reno, Nevada
A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world’s best-loved brands: M&M’s®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN’S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
The Direct Ship Operator role:
The Direct Ship Operator is responsible for ensuring replenishment loads are fulfilled, prepared for shipment and delivered to the appropriate destination in a safe, quality, timely and cost effective manner. This position is the final operation in meeting customer requirements for high quality, damage free, on-time, correctly loaded and accurate (Bill of Lading) deliveries.
Every associate at Mars has the responsibility for the achievement of quality and food safety.
This is a 12 hour, day shift position.
- Warehouse Organization- Follow FIFO shipping guidelines, consolidation of product and general warehouse clean up and maintenance
- Manual Palletizing- Palletize finished bagged product and stretch wrap finished skid as needed.
Fill Customer Orders- Coordinate shipping of products, assure accurate deployment of finished products with the associated paperwork, including picking items required for customer orders, place on correct shipping platform and load to correct trailer upon completing proper trailer inspections.
Shipping Product- Load trailers according to loading specifications and in a manner which delivers product on time (arrives when originally expected) and complete (accurate by item and damage free) as measured by our customers and other receiving destinations.
Receiving Product – Inspect, verify item(s) and quantity, unload, and correctly warehouse all in-bound shipments (finished goods and materials) using safe procedures while maintaining the quality of all products and using accurate inventory management procedures.
Equipment Inspections - Conduct thorough trailer and forklift inspections prior to using piece of equipment, filling out all inspection forms completely as well as any required repair work orders
Product Movement - Operate forklift equipment to move product from and within the warehouse to trailers. Will be required to operate in a manner maintaining required sanitation levels. Repair and recoup damaged goods as accidentally created during product movement and document as required.
- Follow FIFO principles for finished products.
Material Handling - Create proper re-ship tags and ASN labels as required and tagging pallets from the palletizer as needed. Organize warehouse and all warehouse supplies, shipping materials, packaging materials.
Manual Picking and Palletizing - Accurately pick all products for mixed pallets, properly palletize and stretchwrap finished skid, and label correctly.
Cycle Counting – When required, be able to properly cycle count all areas of warehouse and be able to make appropriate inventory adjustments in inventory system.
- Maintain cleanliness of warehouse, dock and trailer storage areas.
- Participate in problem solving groups as appropriate.
- Check current shipment orders for accuracy
- Train other associates in operation of all areas and systems
- Maintain a clean, safe work environment that promotes associate safety and product integrity.
- Improve operations through individual and group problem solving and provide leadership in solving problems on the floor and in meetings
- Promote high quality team environment through effective team work and self direction with a positive attitude.
- Provide feedback to Shipping Logistics Technician to achieve relevant shipping schedules.
Retain primary responsibility for coordination of the following:
Receipt and warehousing of all inbound materials.
- Coordinate the minimization of on-site inventories and reducing cost through inventory control, ensure accuracy of inventories to the 98% level.
- Stage materials to minimize damage and maximize easy access to materials.
- Manage information to minimize hold balances and track finished product inventories.
- Obtain and maintain proficiency in job specific business systems such as Office Outlook, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel systems. Remain current with facility utilized business systems such as Kronos and Mpower,
- Obtain training in the job specific needs of SPEDE and/or PRMS.
- Responsible for your own safety and for the safety of others which may be affected by others actions. Demonstrate good judgment and react to unsafe acts and conditions, either by making them safe or reporting them to those in a position to correct them.
- Other similar duties as assigned.
Who Should Apply . . .
We are looking for individuals who demonstrate the following behaviors:
- Team player
- Action oriented
- Problem solving abilities
- Strong communication skills
- Continuous self development
Primary Qualifications for this job are:
- Most recent Performance appraisal with a minimum of "Meets" expectations and not more than 1 one year old.
- No active disciplinary notices.
- Acceptable attendance (less than 5 incidents and no discipline above an Initial Warning).
- Must not be afraid of heights; must be capable of working at elevated heights
- Must not be unusually sensitive to chemicals (contact lenses not recommended).
- Vision correctable to 20/20.
- Must be able to stand on feet for long periods of time.
- Standing on a concrete floor
- Wearing proper personal protective equipment (hair net, bump cap, ear plugs, safety shoes, and uniform)
- Bending, stooping, twist, turn, standing for extended time periods, reaching, climbing stairs, and lifting up to 50 lbs
- Must be able to adapt to temperature and environmental extremes such as hot to cold, dust dirt and chemicals
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Forklift assignments require certification and getting on and off frequently
- Certified in Forklift operation
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment with a positive attitude and minimal supervision
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Good basic math, reading and writing skills
- Basic knowledge of personal computers
- Good problem solving and/or troubleshooting skills
- Working knowledge of Safety, Quality and Material Management Systems and procedures
- Ability to read and understand the daily production run schedule, and execute to that plan
- Ability to communicate to managers and team members any production, quality/food safety or other business critical information vital to operations and customer service
- Must be willing and able to work and accept varying shifts and schedules
- Ability to understand and effectively communicate in the English language
- Successful completion of a substance screening and background check
- 3+ years of manufacturing experience operating a variety of machines
- 2 years of work experience within manufacturing, or a technical and/or trade discipline
- Working Knowledge of food safety, GMP, GHOP, HACCP, SPC
- Knowledge of inventory control principles
- Ability to operate a forklift/OSHA certification
- Experience with SAP
Company-paid relocation is not available for this position.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.