Student Engineer- Bend, Oregon #37669 at PacifiCorp
Posted in Architecture 11 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Bend, Oregon
PacifiCorp is one of the lowest-cost electricity producers in the United States, providing more than 1.6 million customers with reliable, efficient energy.
Assist the Field Engineering Support team in software tool development, process improvement efforts and distillation of large sets of data. Supports transmission and distribution engineering and planning teams via development of new and support of existing applications. These applications are used in the integration of engineering studies, plans, specifications, calculations, evaluations, design documents, and performance assessments associated with the planning, design, licensing, construction, operation, and maintenance of the company’s generation, transmission, distribution, telecommunication, or other utility facilities/systems. Communicate effectively in writing and verbally, technical information to team members and internal stakeholders.
- Help develop new applications and training documentation for engineers.
- Develop and share knowledge in applications such as CYME, Python, C#.
- Help enhance engineering processes in areas such as distribution planning.
- Support distribution system projects with intelligent electronic devices.
- Assist company engineers in performing engineering studies and analysis of substation equipment, protection & control equipment, transmission structures & hardware, and distribution equipment.
- Develop moderately complex engineering studies of limited scope and prepare data for analysis.
- Perform electrical network data analysis and present results to company staff.
- Conduct drawing reviews to ensure adherence to company and industry standards.
- Research and test equipment provided by suppliers
- Update company standards and drawings
- Analyze the system design, programming, and modification.
- Enrolled full time in accredited engineering college/university.
- Sophomore standing or higher in electrical/mechanical/civil engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrate or develop familiarity with SQL database querying.
- Demonstrate or develop familiarity with industrial or utility power systems
- Demonstrate or develop project management and leadership skills including the ability to work as a team member, to maintain project timelines and budgets, and to deliver on commitments.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills and the ability to work cross-functionally to understand requirements and influence others in achieving project and job objectives, causing appropriate action and understanding.
- Demonstrate or develop understanding of company’s business, and relevant policies, procedures, and practices.
- Demonstrate or develop ability to perform effectively in high-pressure situations while maintaining focus and calmness.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify gaps in existing processes and determine methods and techniques for obtaining results and recommend alternative solutions to meet business needs.
- Ability to interact favorably with project and work teams.
- Communication and interpersonal skills involving the ability to work cross-functionally to understand requirements, present alternatives, and recommendations.
- Proficient with the use of personal computers and automated tools.
- Average hours of work per week not to exceed 20 hours per week per calendar year.
- Experience creating things to solve problems.
- Possesses or is pursuing Engineer In Training (E.I.T.) certification.
- Pursuing a second degree or minor in computer science.
- Completion of internship with an electrical utility.
- Experience with .NET application framework (C#, C++, VB.NET, VBA, ASP, etc.).
- Experience applying statistical models or other advanced numerical models.
Primary Location: Bend
Department: 00001027 Pacific Power
Personnel Subarea: Non-Exempt
Hiring Range: 17.00-21.50
Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without an accommodation.
At PacifiCorp, we encourage everyone to work together. We embrace diversity and value the distinct perspectives of all our employees. We strive to cultivate a workplace that connects each employee to the organization and enables all individuals to participate and contribute to their full potential.
It is PacifiCorp's policy to provide and promote equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants in accordance with local, state and federal laws and regulations governing personnel activities. In accordance with federal guidelines, PacifiCorp is committed to a program of affirmative action. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, veteran status, national origin, sexual orientation or gender identity.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check and drug screening.