Engineer - Permitting I (Florida) at First Solar Electric LLC
Posted in Architecture 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Apollo Beach, Florida
Our high growth and leadership position in the renewable energy business offers outstanding opportunities to individuals seeking an exciting work environment in one of the most important industries for the 21st century. First Solar is a leader in the development and manufacturing of thin film solar modules used in grid-connected solar power plants, as well as a provider of complete solar generation solutions for U.S. utilities. Our culture is one where teamwork, continuous improvement, achievement of results, and environmental responsibility are core values. We are seeking new associates who are motivated to contribute their talents to making cost-effective solar energy an important part of the world’s energy mix.
Primary Job Functions:
Job Title: Engineer – Permitting I
Reports To: Manager – Permitting Engineering
Job Status: Exempt (Salaried)
Location: Southeastern Region, U.S., initially supporting project works in Central Florida (Tampa area) and Central Georgia (Macon area), highly likely to expand to other States within the Southeastern U.S.
Basic Job Functions:
Under the mentorship of the Permitting Manager, responsible for managing the construction permit process for multiple large scale photo voltaic power plants. Serve as liaison between local jurisdictions and First Solar engineering & construction teams. Needs to have or very rapidly gain active knowledge of plant design, building codes and land rights functions, in Florida, Georgia and other Southeast US locations, including organizing and negotiating new and modifying existing State and Local permits.
- 3-5 years experience involved with engineering and/or permitting large construction projects is preferred.
- Exposure to land/site development or related experience is preferred.
- Previous experience in energy development; with utility-scale solar (Photovoltaic) projects preferred.
- Knowledge of relationship between land use and construction permitting in the Southeastern U.S. preferred. Recent or forthcoming engineering graduates with excellent academic standing are invited to apply
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering is required (civil, structural or electrical preferred).
- PE registration or ability to obtain PE registration following experience/mentorship prerequisites is required (First Solar will support mentorship and preparation for PE examination)
- Must be a “self-starter” and have the ability to reach out to and relate well with others
- Must understand engineering plans and have the ability to resolve questions from permitting authorities
- Must know how to determine applicable code/ordinance and work with design engineering to conform
- Must demonstrate organizational collaboration and project management ability.
- Must have a personal commitment to superior safety, quality and accuracy.
- Must be highly agile, results-oriented and able to function autonomously
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must have ability to use Excel, Word and PowerPoint competently
- Under the mentorship of senior engineers, work with various departments to define, apply for, and manage construction permits.
- Understand/develop relationships and effectively communicate as may be directed with diverse groups of external stakeholders; including land owners, partners, government officials, technical experts, utilities, and consultants.
- Establish working relationships with approving officials and educate and direct permitting process within each jurisdiction’s structure.
- Work with engineers, contractors, and consultants to evaluate and prepare permitting strategies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Job description subject to change at any time.
- This position reports to the Manager of Permitting in the Permitting, Compliance and Quality Department
- Willing to travel up to 60% and willing to accept Domestic Short Term Assignments (D-STA) away from home of record to support localized “bursts” of permitting activity as the needs of the business dictate.
US Physical Requirements:
Project Site (non-craft) Requirements:
- Will sit, stand or walk short distances for up to the entire duration of a shift
- Will climb stairs on an occasional basis
- Will lift, push or pull up to 27 pounds on an occasional basis
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
- Must be able to comply with all safety standards and procedures
- May reach above shoulder heights and below the waist on a frequent basis
- May stoop, kneel, or bend, on an occasional basis
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment is required (including but not limited to; steel toed shoes, gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection, protective jacket or apron and arm guards)
Office Physical Requirements:
All positions in our office require interaction with people and technology while either standing or sitting. In order to best service our customers, internal and external, all associates must be able to communicate face-to-face and on the phone with or without reasonable accommodation. First Solar is committed to compliance with its obligations under all applicable state and federal laws prohibiting employment discrimination. In keeping with this commitment, it attempts to reasonably accommodate applicants and employees in accordance with the requirements of the disability discrimination laws. It also invites individuals with disabilities to participate in a good faith, interactive process to identify reasonable accommodations that can be made without imposing an undue hardship.
Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check band any other tests that may be required.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement: First Solar is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company
ExperienceEstimating, Designing, Permitting, and Building Large Construction Projects, Land/Site Development
EducationBachelor of Engineering (Required)
Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check, pre-employment drug screen, and any other test that may be required for the role.Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check, pre-employment drug screen, and any other test that may be required for the role.