Liability Specialist at Erie Insurance
Posted in General Business 8 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
As a Liability Specialist in the Kentucky Branch Office, you will exercise independent discretion or judgment in handling complex, high dollar/high impact casualty claims. You will also oversee cases in litigation and assist outside counsel, and assist or act on behalf of the claims supervisor when required.
- This position works from the Kentucky Branch Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Establishes immediate contact with Policyholders and claimants regarding claims. Conducts investigations, interviews insureds, witnesses and physicians. Evaluates and makes recommendations regarding coverage of claims. Works with experts, appraisers, outside consultants and other claims professionals as required.
- Handles claims involving extensive questions of liability, damages or coverages and those involving litigation. Types of claims handled include, but are not limited to: any claim normally handled by liability adjusters or senior liability adjusters; some claims which will require field investigation; higher value bodily-injury and uninsured motorist bodily-injury claims; fatalities; complex commercial claims; claims involving disfigurement; claims involving permanency; and complex coverage issues.
- Sets and maintains adequate reserves within designated authority. Obtains and reviews reports, statements, records and related materials as necessary. Evaluates information to determine liability and total value of claim. Determines or declines payment and issues checks as required. Negotiates claims with plaintiff attorneys when necessary.
- Documents claim files and submits final report to file for closure.
- Identifies subrogation situations and initiates appropriate action.
- Oversees cases in litigation ensuring proper handling by outside counsel and assisting in the development of case strategy and procedure.
- Interacts with Agents and district sales managers on matters of mutual concern.
- Assists claims supervisor or acts on his/her behalf, including representing the company at legal proceedings, as required.
- Completes industry-related training programs and continues to attend training programs to remain informed on policy changes, interpretation or new legislation.
- Assists in training of new claims adjusters.
- Participates on Catastrophe Team when required.
Ability To Learn And Follow Procedures
Ability To Maintain Composure
Ability to Manage Complexity
Developing And Maintaining Relationships
Information Management Skills
Planning And Organizing
High school diploma or GED required. Bachelor's degree preferred. Five years casualty claims adjusting experience or equivalent experience in the medical or legal field required. Broad knowledge and expertise in the areas of liability coverages, laws and injuries required. Successful completion of Associate in Claims (AIC) program preferred. Position requires incumbents to serve on Catastrophe Team, which may include travel on short notice to other locations for periods in excess of two consecutive weeks.
Lifting 0-20 lbs; Occasional (<20>
Lifting 20-50 lbs; Occasional (<20>
Lifting Over 50 lbs; Occasional (<20>
Pushing/Pulling; Occasional (<20>
Manual Keying/Data Entry; Often (20-50%)
Nearest Major Market: Lexington
Job Segment: Liability, Law, Claims, Outside Sales, Adjuster, Insurance, Legal, Sales