Senior Accountant/Financial Coordinator at BCBSM
Posted in Finance 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Responsible for monitoring, analyzing and reporting financial information to support month, quarter and year end close. This includes the preparation or review of journal entries and account reconciliations. Provide accounting support to business areas that are part of the financial statement close process (100+ individuals). Lead or works with a team (within the department or across multiple departments) to complete special projects.
- Prepares various financial information for parties' external to BCBSM (e.g. external auditors).
- Identifies, based on information in financial or regulatory reports, areas where additional analysis is needed and investigates these issues independently.
- Review financial information prepared by other financial staff members for accuracy and completeness. Information may include journal entries and account reconciliation. Provide timely and essential feedback as appropriate.
- Drafts policies and procedures for department and/or division to help assure clarity in department and/or divisional practices and adequate internal controls.
- Interfaces with various departments, senior management and individuals' external to BCBSM. Represents leadership staff at meetings in their absence.
- Responsible for assignments that frequently involves strict deadlines.
- Supervision responsibility for assigned team member.
Assists with special projects and any other duties or assignments as requested by management. Other duties may be assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field required. Master's Degree preferred.
- Four (4) to six (6) years experience in related field with extensive background in financial analysis and reporting (internal/external). Experience in healthcare or insurance industry is considered a plus.
- Experience in leading projects, coordinating efforts that involve other people and demonstrated leadership skills.
- Certification CPA preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate financial information to financial and non-financial individuals.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, problem solving skills and the ability to identify and analyze accounting and business issues.
- Strong technical expertise (e.g., US GAAP is required and SAP accounting is considered a plus).
- Ability to work independently, within a team environment and with multiple priorities.
- Ability to effectively interface with various levels of management internally and as well as contacts outside the organization.
- Comprehensive knowledge of financial operations including functions, activities and systems.
- Proficient in current industry standard PC applications and systems (e.g., Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access).
- General knowledge of PeopleSoft.
- Other related skills and/or abilities may be required to perform this job.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other grounds, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.