Lead Financial Analyst (Financial Coordinator) at BCBSM
Posted in Finance 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Department Specific Details:
Provides support as a Financial Coordinator to internal BCBSM functional areas, specifically Health Care Value (HCV). Tasks may include, but are not limited to: month-end close, budgeting, forecasting, reporting, allocations, business case reviews, ad-hoc queries and analysis. The ideal candidate will be able to perform standard financial/accounting responsibilities and will also be able to interact with a wide variety of people at HCV in a consultative role. HCV is one of BCBSM's five key platforms. HCV creates sustainable competitive advantage through controlling health care benefit cost, addressing the quality of care delivery and maintaining access to the provider network.
Responsible for monitoring, analyzing and reporting financial information including revenues, expenses, trends and/or program profitability by division, customer or product segments. Also responsible for preparing financial analysis and modeling that supports prospective business decisions. Leads or works with a team (within the department or across multiple departments) to complete assigned projects. Works within strict deadlines and under little or no supervision.
- Oversees decision support oriented financial reporting for a division, customer or segment that may include linking financial information from various sources to provide meaningful financial reports or to assure appropriate data reconciliation. Financial data may include financial statements detail, corporate, division and cost center BPR information, cost allocation information, general ledger transaction activity, settlement activity, membership, billing and revenue activity, external benchmark data and external audit findings.
- Prepares and publishes various financial or regulatory reports and/or statements for management outside the department and/or parties' external to BCBSM (e.g. auditors, customers, providers, BCBSA, FEP, NAIC, OFIS, Standard & Poor's, and AM Best).
- Identifies, based on information in financial or regulatory reports, areas where additional analysis is needed and investigates these issues independently.
- May review financial information prepared by other financial staff members and customers for accuracy and completeness. Information may include budgets, business cases, impact studies, audit findings, footnotes and regulatory schedules. Edits, corrects and revises as appropriate.
- Drafts policies and procedures for department and/or division to help assure clarity in department and/or divisional practices and adequate internal controls. Interfaces with various departments, senior management and individuals' external to BCBSM.
- Represents leadership staff at meetings in their absence.
- Responsible for assignments that frequently involves strict deadlines.
- May have staff assigned to them as it relates to project work.
- Assists with special projects and any other duties or assignments as requested by management.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field required. Master's Degree preferred.
- Four (4) to six (6) years experience in related field with extensive background in financial analysis and reporting (internal/external). Experience in healthcare or insurance industry is considered a plus.
- Experience in leading projects, coordinating efforts that involve other people and demonstrated leadership skills.
- Certification (CPA, CMA, and CFM) preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate financial information to financial and non-financial individuals.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, problem solving skills and the ability to identify and analyze accounting and business issues.
- Subject matter expert with high degree of technical expertise in area of specialty (e.g., GAAP and SAP accounting, FEP regulations, cost accounting, etc).
- Ability to work independently, within a team environment and with multiple priorities.
- Ability to effectively interface with various levels of management internally and as well as contacts outside the organization.
- Comprehensive knowledge of financial operations including functions, activities and systems.
- Proficient in current industry standard PC applications and systems (e.g., Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access).
- General knowledge of Hyperion and PeopleSoft.
- Other related skills and/or abilities may be required to perform this job.