Director, Digital Strategy
at Harvard University
Posted in Other 13 days ago.
This job brought to you by Local Organization
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts
Duties & Responsibilities
The Director, Digital Strategy, is a pivotal player in the Office of Communications and Public Affairs for the Harvard Kennedy School (HKS). The Director, Digital Strategy, will report to the Associate Dean of Communications and Public Affairs, and manage a talented team of content producers and strategists who collaborate with the school's research centers to advance HKS' broader organizational goals.
The ideal candidate will be skilled in using select digital platforms to set direction and advance HKS' content strategy. They will have deep expertise in digital marketing, digital trends, and content best practices (including SEO, web content optimization, paid and organic promotion, UX, with strong journalistic and editorial insights), as well as experience in growing and engaging audiences online.
They will also possess a working knowledge of the ways in which other distribution channels-including public relations, partnerships, and events-can support the work of HKS' Office of Communications and Public Affairs. Using this combined expertise, the Digital Strategy Director will lead planning and implementation efforts using HKS' editorial content to thoughtfully engage its diverse and well informed audiences.
The successful candidate understands HKS' mission and its prominent role in the public policy landscape. They are an evangelist for the power of digital content to move HKS audiences to action. They have proven talents as a storyteller and a driving curiosity for what's new in digital marketing. A smart, strategic thinker with keen editorial instincts, writing skills, and the ability to spot opportunities and the stories to harness them. Our ideal person has a fascination with ideas and an aptitude for reducing complex issues into readily understandable concepts.
- Audience analysis and engagement:
- Lead efforts to refine HKS' understanding of its current and aspirational audiences
- Craft, oversee, and optimize digital media strategies that meaningfully connect with HKS' audiences across all its channels-including the website, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube
- Develop strategies to grow audience base and deepen audience engagement
- Digital content and marketing strategy:
- Define content strategy and priorities, particularly marketing plans to further HKS goals
- Monitor analytics to ground HKS engagement strategies in audience interests and behaviors. This includes using insights from analytics to evaluate the effectiveness of content and marketing projects
- Study and capitalize on trends in digital media and audience engagement
- Identify opportunities to launch new channels or evolve existing HKS channels to align with HKS' larger goals and audience engagement strategies
- Build online and offline relationships to facilitate brand ambassador relationships and content partnerships
- Content planning and production:
- Facilitate the digital content team's creative process to develop new ideas for content and social engagement, and ensure ideas are translated into concrete strategies, activities, and tactics
- Ensure projects in all digital content channels stay on track-including the web, social media, and multimedia
- Oversee creation of content and repurposing of other material for digital use
- Develop guidelines for content creation and marketing for all digital channels and ensure their implementation
- Oversee editorial/writing team and the content from any communications channel-from print to social-as needed
- Bachelor's degree
- 7 plus years of progressive digital and multi-media experience
- Supervisory experience
- A passion and deep appreciation for public policy and issues of public interest
- At least seven years of experience as a digital and communications strategist
- At least 5 years of experience managing teams and overseeing workflows
- A deep understanding of how to attract, grow, and engage audiences. Experience growing an audience following for a major brand is not necessary but preferred
- Experience in using data and analytics to measure impact, create metrics reports, and refine strategies to achieve success (e.g., Google Analytics, Facebook Insights and Publishing Tools, Twitter Analytics, Sprout Social, etc.)
- A strong ability to operate collaboratively and independently in a fast-paced environment
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
Signup for an account
to get information on applying for a job.