Graphics Developer at Market News Media Publication
Posted in Design 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: New York, New York
Our client who is a major financial news publication is seeking an experienced graphics developer in New York to design and build insightful data visualizations, interactive features and web experiences. You will write code, and design and develop news graphics. You will create content from pitch to publication -- crafting your own ideas, as well as collaborating with the wider newsroom on a variety of subjects. Your work will cross several platforms to inform and delight users of the the publication's terminal, website and daily app.
The Graphics Team is a tight-knit group of about 30 data journalists, researchers, designers and developers in New York; Washington, D.C.; London and Hong Kong. They tell stories through data and innovative design, helping each other out along the way, crowding around our screens to solve problems and pushing each other to make great work.
We'll trust you to:
* Wring clarity from confusion and use data to tell compelling stories about business, markets, finance, technology, economics and politics.
* Be curious, especially about new technologies we can use to tell richer, deeper stories.
* Write code that is efficient, easy to read and keeping with current principles.
* Juggle multiple projects of different lengths on a variety of subjects, and handle deadlines with grace.
* Have a strong, distinctive visual sensibility.
You will need:
* Knowledge of current coding/web standards and best practices
* Understanding of data visualization, multimedia infographics and UI design
* Experience with QGIS, Topojson and other mapping tools
* Knowledge of standard design tools (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign)
Nice to have:
* Experience with R and/or Python for data analysis
* Knowledge of how to handle data (APIs, databases, etc.) and charting conventions
* A desire to collaborate with others
* A journalism background with experience working in graphics