Health Outreach Educator - OB/GYN - (FT, 40 Hours, Days) at Boston Medical Center
Posted in General Business 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Boston Medical Center (BMC) is more than a hospital. It´s a network of support and care that touches the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in need each year. It is the largest and busiest provider of trauma and emergency services in New England. Emphasizing community-based care, BMC is committed to providing consistently excellent and accessible health services to all—and is the largest safety-net hospital in New England. The hospital is also the primary teaching affiliate of the nationally ranked Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) and a founding partner of Boston HealthNet – an integrated health care delivery systems that includes many community health centers. BMC provides a full range of pediatric and adult care services, from primary to family medicine to advanced specialty care.
BMC is also committed to our employees, who are a very important piece to who we are. We pride ourselves in providing equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. BMC will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Boston Healthy Start is a five year community engagement network designed to reduce perinatal health dipartites of Black and Latino women in the city of Boston. Boston Medical Center -Yawkey OB/GYN ambulatory clinic is a partner providing; CenteringPregnancy, an innovative medical group visit model and perinatal case navigation to improve the overall health outcomes of all prenatal patients.
The Outreach Health Educator will engage specified residents per year and provide health education, resource guidance and care coordination with clinicians for women and their children, for up to 2 years. Primary responsibilities will be split between direct patient contact, data collection with case management and logistical support for Centering Pregnancy including out reach and co facilitation of group sessions.
Responsible for enrolling and managing patient health care education, service utilization and care coordination for Black and Latino Boston residents
- Utilize creativity and innovative approaches to build and sustain relationships with enrolled patients, including direct and indirect outreach efforts.
- Conduct comprehensive culturally sensitive health interviews, collect, complete and accurate data.
- Partner with clinician to provide comprehensive prenatal care. Meet with clinical staff, monthly or more often as needed, to plan for, coordinate and communicate patient status and document in EMR.
- Assist patients in navigating the healthcare system, completing needed referrals and attending appointments.
- Assist with the coordination of training events and workshops
- Comprehensive complete and accurate clinical data tracking
- Conduct home visits to gain insight into family resources and function for ~25% of case load
- Attend and incorporate into practice BHSI training on clinical best practices including: CenteringPregnancy, One Key Question, Trauma Informed and Motivational Interviewing interview techniques.
- Efficient timely oral and written communication with perinatal team
- Maintain regular communication with patients’ clinicians, (including charting in electronic medical record, calls, emails, home visits) and to assist with outreach.
- Optimize group enrollment. Conduct outreach and appointment reminder calls, follow up on missed visits.
- Co Lead Centering group visits. Engage with patients in group format Regular and punctual attendance.
- Attend Training in group facilitation techniques and continue to use opportunities to enhance skills
- Maintain supplies, distribute and organize storage quarterly inventory. Prepare purchase order.
- Assist with evaluation activities including data collection and database management
- Distribute, collect surveys and enter data into data base
Maintains patient confidentiality.
Utilizes hospital's values as the basis for decision making and to facilitate the division's hospital mission.
Meets hospital-wide standards in the following areas:
- Conforms to hospital standards of performance and conduct, including those pertaining to patient rights, so that the best possible customer service and patient care may be provided.
- Utilizes hospital’s values as the basis for decision-making and to facilitate the division’s hospital mission.
- Follows established hospital infection control and safety procedures
Develops competencies as related to position.
Performs other duties as assigned or as necessary.
Adheres to all of BMC’s RESPECT behavioral standards.
JOB DESCRIPTION CHARACTERISTICS
Bachelor’s Degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
Experience in maternal and child health preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Knowledge of software applications such as Microsoft Office, Excel, Access and Word. Ability to work in a multi-cultural, diverse, decentralized environment, as a member of a health care team and comfortable working with multi-cultural, low-income comprehensive care families. Strong communication, interpersonal, organizational, and record keeping skills. Ability to handle multiple tasks and responsibilities at the same time effectively. Ability to interpret and record data and make informed judgments regarding patient care. Working knowledge of medical terminology Bilingual or multi-lingual skills appropriate to the patient population served (especially Spanish or Haitian Creole), are a big plus.