Speech Therapy Education Coordinator - Speech Language Pathology - Full-Time 8 Hour Days at University of Southern California
Posted in General Business 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Glendale, California
Coordinates the educational activity of the Speech Therapy Department. With other PMR Coordinators, assists in: the operations of the department, the implementation of policies and procedures, the development of new programs, the review of department performance and effecting change as needed.
Administers and directs the administration of physical agents and procedures utilized in PMR at an advanced skill level as prescribed by a referring physician in order to provide treatment and improve the functional status of the patient.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Performs all of the functions, duties and responsibilities of the Staff Speech Language Pathologist according to hospital policy and in addition:
- Coordinates and participates in PMR educational in-service programs and performance improvement teams; recommends continuing education topics for staff.
- Assists with problems that may occur within the inpatient and outpatient areas as related to programs, patients and physicians. Also advises and reports staff problems to the Speech Therapy Coordinator.
- Insures compliance with departmental and hospital policies and standards in the PMR Department.
- Assists PMR Director in insuring compliance with DNV and Title 22 requirements including process improvement/quality management.
- Assists the PMR Director in research and development of new programs for the department and the hospital.
- Studies current trends and new developments in Speech Therapy through survey of literature and attendance at professional meetings and seminars.
- Oversees the basic daily operations of the Speech Therapy Department in the absence of the Speech Therapy Coordinator.
- Coordinates Speech Therapy Student internships and acts as a clinical instructor.
- Ensures that Speech Therapy equipment is properly maintained and that safe practices are utilized. Review and update P&P on an as needed basis.
- Assumes additional duties as requested by the Director of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
Graduation from a Speech / Language school approved by the Council on Medical Education of the American Medical Association and the American Speech and Language Pathology Association.
Effective oral and written communication skills to work with patients, families, physicians and other personnel.
Teaching skills to provide education for Speech Therapy Student interns, as well as, to education to staff members and patients.
Performs advanced level evaluation and treatment techniques along with developing treatment plans to meet therapy and patient goals.
Capable of team leadership and developing new programs for the PMR department and hospital as a whole.
Capable of handling high volume outpatient caseload.
Must understand and utilize the theories behind speech/language pathology and swallow.
Must understand theory and precautions/contraindications for all physical medicine agents relating to speech pathology procedures and their effects for the child, adolescent, adult and geriatric patient.
Must have knowledge of human anatomy and physiology in order to assess the effects of treatment on body function and structures for the child, adolescent, adult and geriatric patient.
Must understand concepts of isolation, sterile techniques and the applications within physical medicine.
Must understand required policies and procedures for PMR and the hospital in general.
A minimum of five years of experience in Speech/Language Pathology in an acute care setting with a minimum of 3 years in an outpatient setting. Experience in multiple acute hospital settings desired along with 2 years of experience as a clinical instructor for Speech Therapy Student interns.
Current license to practice Speech and Language Pathology in California issued by the Department of Consumer Affairs, Medical Board of California, Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Examining Committee.
Membership in the American Speech and Language Pathology Association is desired.
Annual certification in BLS from the American Heart Association.
As part of Keck Medicine of USC, USC Verdugo Hills Hospital is the only community hospital in the Foothills area of Los Angeles backed by an academic medical center. With its 40-year legacy of personalized care from expert physicians, experience nurses and a dedicated staff the community has come to know and trust, USC-VHH brings patients the latest medical advancements and 24/7 emergency services. Join this world-class team providing highly-specialized care, up-to-the-minute research and innovative clinical trials.
REQ20053447 Posted Date: 12/05/2017