Lead Underwriting Specialist (Virtual) at Prudential
Posted in Insurance 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Roseland, New Jersey
Group Insurance is an operating unit within the U.S. Businesses Division that primarily focuses on creating, distributing, and administering a complex range of life and disability insurance products for many top Fortune 500 companies. Prudential has been underwriting group insurance plans since 1916. Today, our Group Insurance business unit is the nation’s second largest group life carrier and a leading disability carrier, proudly servicing nearly 20,000 clients—and insuring more than 20 million employees and their families. Group Insurance has operation centers across the United States
The Lead Underwriting Specialist is primarily accountable for the quality review of Group Disability proposals, renewals and on-going case activity in accordance with statutory regulations and existing underwriting policies and practices, and communicating results in a manner which contributes to the profitability, customer retention and sales objectives as well as the reputation of the company. May also support team on quality review for other product lines including Group Life, Voluntary and Special Risk.
- Assesses Underwriter adherence to documented policy and procedure in the areas of compliance, documentation, authority limits, data entry & handling, and pricing adherence
Independently evaluates application of Underwriting judgment, pricing decisions, and pricing strategy
Able to independently handle all medium cases and most high complexity cases, requiring limited guidance on the remainder
Provide and implement recommendations regarding the QR program to ensure it remains customer focused, consistent, effective and efficient
Confidently and effectively communicates point of view through both verbal and written communications and negotiates with internal/external partners in various roles (may include Risk Management, Compliance, Corporate Tax, etc.)
Influences others through their behavior.
Actively engages in supporting the positive consultative outcomes crucial to our long-term success, identifying opportunities to provide consultative creative solutions and making recommendations.
Maintains updated records in accordance with underwriting and records policies & procedures.
Demonstrates an awareness of risks and controls, as well as factors that influence the regulatory environment
Actively supports the Leadership initiatives, offering continuous guidance and proactively sharing expertise with others, and serving as a resource for less experienced quality reviewers
Provides guidance and oversight of Quality Review appeal process
Demonstrates a strong ability to help others gain an understanding of the underwriting process, identifying training needs and developing and delivering training.
Supports hiring strategies through the interview and onboarding processes
Acts as a subject matter expert for medium/high complexity topics
Actively participates in or leads projects which may be broader/cross-functional, demonstrates an understanding of both the upstream and downstream impacts of changes within and outside of Underwriting
Directly supports management in QR trend analysis and the preparation/presentation of trend reporting
- Group Disability underwriting experience, preferably 7+ years,
- Group Life underwriting experience is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Ability to work independently
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize work with limited oversight
- Results and profit oriented
- Strong Analytical and mathematical skills.
- Proficient with spreadsheet and email software
- Working knowledge of applicable underwriting tools (internal)
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to develop strong working relationships
- Understands and adheres to policies and procedures
- Exhibits behaviors aligned with leadership competencies