Chief Editor, BMC Biology at Bio Med
Posted in Writing/Editing 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: New York, New York
BioMed Central (BMC) is a large portfolio of peer-reviewed open access journals for Science, Technology and Medicine. The journals span all areas of biology, medicine and health, including broad interest titles such as BMC Biology and BMC Medicine alongside specialist journals, such as Malaria Journal and BMC Infectious Diseases.
Job Title: Chief Editor, BMC Biology
Organisation: BioMed Central
Location: New York or London
This is an exceptional opportunity for a dynamic, forward-thinking editor to take a flagship open access journal to the next level of success through innovation and strategic journal development.
BMC Biology is a flagship journal of BioMed Central, and has a mission to publish influential research across all areas of biology. The journal is ranked 3rd among research journals in the Biology category of the Journal Citation Index (JCI) and has an international editorial board of leading scientists. BMC Biology has a track record in innovation in editorial policy and in publishing commissioned content designed to stimulate discussion and debate.
The Chief Editor will further develop the journal to become a cutting edge forum for publishing research and commentary across the biological sciences. As well as developing the scientific content of the journal, a key aim will be to identify and act rapidly on new opportunities to respond to the evolving needs of the biology community.
The position is a full-time salaried role based at our office in either New York or London.
- Work with the Executive Editor to drive the strategy for BMC Biology in an evolving research and publishing landscape, to attract top-quality authors and content, and to develop the journal’s reputation as an outstanding forum in the field.
- Drive change on the journal to ensure that new opportunities are identified and rapidly acted on.
- Proactively engage with the scientific community as an ambassador for the journal and the company at academic institutions and conferences, and through social media and other communication channels.
- Lead the in-house team of manuscript handling editors, ensuring that they achieve the right balance of time between efficient service to authors and outreach in the community, to attract the best authors and high-quality content.
- Overall responsibility for all aspects of manuscript selection, including peer review, commissioning, and creating editorial material, with final say on decisions to accept or reject material and accountability for published content.
- Foster excellent service to authors, including courteous, constructive decisions and an intelligent and efficient peer review process.
- Implement policies that assure the integrity of the scientific record.
- Use your knowledge of the subject and your personal network to understand developments in biology in order to identify editorial opportunities and inform journal strategy.
- Work with other departments and in-house systems and processes to ensure that the journal is published and promoted efficiently and effectively.
- Ensure that goals for editorial targets, team cost budgets, and other key indicators of performance are met or improved on.
- Other duties as required by manager.
- PhD or equivalent qualification in a relevant discipline.
- Broad interests and knowledge in biological sciences.
- Previous in-house editorial experience in peer review and decision-making.
- Proven ability to identify opportunities and lead change.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in management, supervision or mentorship of junior team members.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Willing to travel internationally.
- Keen to speak at international conferences and company events.
- Excellent level of knowledge of current challenges and opportunities in scientific publishing preferred
- Broad network of contacts among researchers relevant to the journal preferred
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster:
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.